Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impending rod bearing failure? and good engine drop news..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:31 PM
visualpascal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impending rod bearing failure? and good engine drop news..

Well, the red car is making some nasty noises after accelerating (apparently) too quickly onto the freeway. Ironically, this came the evening of the day I decided to get to work swapping in the eurospec engine.

Got the engine dropped today...and while it took most of the day, the fact that 3 other people came to "help" probably doesn't bear well on the quickness front. Engine came out the bottom with very little effort. The hardest part was getting the exhaust disconnected and heater valve disconnected. (Actually, the hardest part was getting that f'ing knuckle to let go of the steering rack....sheesh).

Anyway, I just felt like sharing the progress with some people that care a little more about 944's than my friends seem to . I was very proud of myself for dropping it without any help, and now I hope to burn of some of that enthusiasm by scrubbing the engine with a toothbrush!

To a productive day (for once)
--Chris
Old 06-30-2004, 11:33 PM
visualpascal
Advanced

Also, forgot to mention, if anyone in the area needs any random parts, let me know: I'm sure my mom would prefer them out of the sideyard.

Thanks!
--Chris
Old 07-02-2004, 01:26 AM
visualpascal
Advanced

Successfully pulled engine numero dos today. BTW, for any interested, power steering makes the uninstall a lot less fun. With any luck, I'll get the bay cleaned out tonight, and the engine back in the car by tomorrow. I'm hoping to have my baby back on the fourth at the latest!

Offer still stands on parts, if you need something from an early car, shoot me a pm.

--Chris
Old 07-02-2004, 01:41 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I went through the same thing with the power steering, and the install was not fun either. Take your time with the cleaning/detailing while the engine is out, and best of luck!
Old 07-02-2004, 04:24 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should check my friend's MR2 turbo motor. Rebuilt turbo (shiny!) and all sandblasted or parts-washer washed parts and then painted. Really a clean engine, and it's about to go back in! Make it real clean, and then invite some friends over to glare at it. It's really a nice feeling.

have fun

Quick Reply: Impending rod bearing failure? and good engine drop news..