Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster beats ass

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004 | 12:50 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

UD...I'll never look at a factory-tanned, Virginia Slim-smoking, Dekuyper "Pucker" Martini drinking, Vagisal buying, Boxster driving, "I was hot in a whorey kinda way 20 years ago" looking woman and not immediately think...gristle.
Old 07-01-2004 | 01:02 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

I like Boxster's except for the fact that...

They make 25K of them per year; not exactly a unique Porsche.
Straight two-seater configuration I'll only forgive in a real exotic.
Factory never officially raced the 986 chassis; tradition?
Performance doesn't quite knock your socks off. Turbo, please?
Can't DIY much of anything on them.

I don't think 944s are the best cars ever built, but it's hard to beat their value and build quality for a Porsche. And yes, no disrespect intended, but there do seem to be quite a few "big-haired secretaries" driving Boxsters.
Old 07-01-2004 | 01:03 AM
Russian Rocket
Pro

All racing experience i had with Boxters was with my GTI 1.8T on a highway. The look on guys face was priceless, from 70 to 130+ i had busslengs on him... But i was young and stupid at that time and i'm happy we didn't cause any trouble doing comparative driving 2.5's are slow, 2.7's are ok, the S is fun!!! 3.4 in a Boxters is flat 13's, 3.6 is wicked scarry. Make your pick My 116hp Miata is too fast for me sometimes so i'll be happy with 2.5
Vlad.
Old 07-01-2004 | 01:17 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Originally posted by adrial
Anything with the right basic layout can be made to outhandle a boxster or similar car ... whats your point?

Compare apples to apples... stock to stock, modified to modified.
I figured you'd say that. My suspension IS completely stock, thank you (which will change in the next couple weeks though). I was simply stating you were being really presumptious. 944's are great handling cars out of the box, as are Boxsters, but I dont believe they handle better enough to make up for the lack of power on a track against a 951...
Old 07-01-2004 | 01:39 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Dude that was darth at Kilkare? I have a picture of him!
Old 07-01-2004 | 02:38 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

What kinda engine mods/conversions can you do to a boxter, also whats the stock HP of a boxter and boxter S
I stil hope one of these days I will be able to stick a 996 Turbo engine in a cheap, mid-engined, 944-priced, "factory never officially raced chassis" car. Today there are kits for this, but to be able to have this P-car engineered engineered car in maximum form to drive the 996 guys crazy would be downright fun. Nonetheless, my evergreen salutation to a Boxster owner is, "Nice 986". Usually they get it, but there are a few that never know. Lastly, in my town I know a few cute girls who drive these cars and one that even insisted on having some OEM 18s mounted. Sorry for the rest of America.
Old 07-01-2004 | 02:44 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

I remeber seeing a website that had some air intake crap for a boxster. I wonder how hard boxsters are to work on?
Old 07-01-2004 | 02:51 AM
Baron009
Pro

my plan is to drive a 944 another ten years and by then the soon-to-be-released Boxster hardtops will be affordable...
That so is my plan too dude lol.
Old 07-01-2004 | 02:59 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

My plan is to drive my 944 for another 10 days. Then something chaotic will happen again and i will go to my room and cry myself to sleep then contact rennlist for its wisdom and it will make everything right again.
Old 07-01-2004 | 03:24 AM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

the 951 really wasnt the bottom of the line Porsche. Especially numbers that went head to head with the 911 turbo. More like the 924 was bottom of the line per say......... but its still a Porsche and every company has a bottom of the line car. Ferrari 360...... ferraris "bottom of the line car", lamborghini gallardo..... lambos "bottom of the line car", like mentioned before the boxster is Porsches "bottom of the line car". Every company has cars that take the prize in some category, weather it be cheapest, slowest, fastest, sportiest, None of these factors determine if a car is "Bad" or not. I know I could definatly think of owning much worse than a "bottom of the line" Porsche.

So in other words.... whoever dissed the 944 as a "bottom of the line Porsche" should think before trying to start useless flames.
Old 07-01-2004 | 05:10 AM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Reminds me of a time when I was co-pilot in my buddies 951, leading 3 other friends in their 951s down the freeway one weekend afternoon, on our way to race go-karts.

An older gentleman, accompanied by a beautiful woman, wanted to impress us (and her I'm sure) by initiating a whoop-*** on our 951, with his "brand new" Boxster.

Funny thing, seconds later, when he was devoured by NOT one, but FOUR "bottom of the line", "fifteen year old" Porsches!

The look on his face...Priceless!
Old 07-01-2004 | 09:04 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally posted by Tony K
...<snip>

4) The Boxster is so great that privateers everywhere are choosing them over . . . . uh . . . well . . . . yeah, their very popular among racers!

<snip>

Um, I think the thing that prevents a lot of Boxsters from becoming race cars is...........................................the lack of a roof. With the upcoming arrival of the Boxster SC Coupe, I think that you will see more of them doing some real racing.
Old 07-01-2004 | 09:48 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Rock
Dude that was darth at Kilkare? I have a picture of him!
Yeah, I was at the Taj autox, running in the wife's Boxster because my clutch wasnt back in yet, send the pic . I must say that the bowl was slick, even you guys on r compounds were sliding around, just think of how it would have been on streets. Could have been worth at least a couple of seconds, though I was not driving her car all that great that day. I could have gotten my times down I suppose, but I guess I was having too much time acting like a reknob sliding my **** all over. I had only driven that car I believe 3 whole times before then, so I guess I felt a need to "feel it out".

All I can say though is Christine in the 951 was much much slower autoxing than she was in the Boxster where she came within seconds of my time! The car does handle amazingly though in stock form. The more we learn about this car, the more we like running it. I think I got to a point where I could drive it pretty smoothly, but then my clutch got back in and now I am learning my new suspension . Christine though is running very good in it, beating some guy class winners at our last autox where she got FTD ladies.

Though those reading should read that I am not knocking the 944 line either, common, I drive and love my 968's handling. Maybe I tweeked it a bit though...
Old 07-01-2004 | 09:54 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tifosiman
Um, I think the thing that prevents a lot of Boxsters from becoming race cars is...........................................the lack of a roof. With the upcoming arrival of the Boxster SC Coupe, I think that you will see more of them doing some real racing.
but there are plenty of 914s in club races without even a windshield, much less a roof . . .

Fiat X19s race topless, too . . .

...and there *are* removable hardtops for Boxsters . . .

I believe someone did campaign a Boxster successfully at the national level. . . It may have been Fred Baker - (but I'm not sure if that was the car I read about. . . .

...Really, why are there so few Boxsters (compared to 993s and 996s) at various levels of road racing?

Last edited by Tony K; 07-01-2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2004 | 10:13 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Yes, but Fiats sound different when you bang on their fenders with your knuckles.

Quick Reply: Boxster beats ass