Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitched hissing sound in engine bay when accelerating, vaccum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 01:56 PM
pacnorius
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched hissing sound in engine bay when accelerating, vaccum leak?

Hi! I just joined today because I’ve been trying to find out what this noise could be. I’ve owned this car for 5 months now? I’ve looked around the diffrent posts but cannot find anything similar to my issue. It seems to appear after accelerating and stumbles with the idle. I’ve looked around the engine bay but cannot find anything that could lead to it. There’s a bit needed with this car so I may be here a few times.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:21 PM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Received 286 Likes on 249 Posts

Its probably a vacuum leak making the hissing (actually sucking) sound. Also likely why you have a bad idle. Check all your lines, especially the small ones running to the FPR/Damper/Throttle body/EVAP system.
Old 08-28-2024, 12:24 PM
pacnorius
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
Its probably a vacuum leak making the hissing (actually sucking) sound. Also likely why you have a bad idle. Check all your lines, especially the small ones running to the FPR/Damper/Throttle body/EVAP system.
I have checked the small lines but have not seen any issues. I have not felt a vaccum between the throttle body and the small lines that run to the fpr though. I disconnected those lines and the sound was the same and the engine continued to run, is there supposed to be a continuous vaccum between there? And where does it get its vacuum.
Old 08-28-2024, 12:26 PM
pacnorius
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pacnorius
I have checked the small lines but have not seen any issues. I have not felt a vaccum between the throttle body and the small lines that run to the fpr though. I disconnected those lines and the sound was the same and the engine continued to run, is there supposed to be a continuous vaccum between there? And where does it get its vacuum.
also after accelerating the car stumbles below idle and comes back up. I have raise the idle to about 950 rpm but my oil pressure fluctuates and stays at 0 most of the time. Especially when the engines under load with electrical components the oil pressure gauge goes crazy!

Quick Reply: High pitched hissing sound in engine bay when accelerating, vaccum leak?