Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! starter problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 01:31 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! starter problems.

Hello all,

Finally thought I got the 51 back on the road yesterday but Ive just moved on to other problems.

My immediate problem is that teh car wont start. Starter soleniod clicks but no start. I have no voltmeter to check the batter voltage, but the accesories all seem to run fine, even the headlights come on bright.

What I've done:
Hooked the starter connections in reverse and spun the starter motor when the neg connex on the battery was attached. ONly took about 3secs of spinning for me to figure out the prob and get under the car and switch the connections.

Jumped the car with little success, bought new battery and started and ran car for about 15 mins. Voltmeter never got above 12v.

Attempted to start car, no start. Jump car, no start, but accessories work, soleniod clicks.

Today's attempt at a jump and start resulted in wisp of smoke driftin up from engine . Tried locating source but no luck, just burning wires smell.

What I'm about to do:
Disconnect starter connections-- theres 3: once small wire, one medium sized I assume is ground, and one monster cable I assume is pos. The ground I assume (duh ) goes on the connection with the copper strap going to the starter casing. But there are two small terminals one with a 10mm nut, another with a screw. Should there be a wire on each?

The car ran as fine as could be before I took things apart, but I don't remember posking with any electricals other than the starter connections. Where should I look now? Where are the ground connections that are supossed to be cleaned? I've done a seach but none actually say exactly where these grounds are, they just talk about them and express the importance of cleaning them.

As an aside I had an engine temo sensor where the wires were shorting in the sheath and one was pretty melted, I assume from engine heat. Could this have been the smoke?

All help and suggestins appreciated. I really need to nail this done today and be on the road tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
-Heybiff

Quick Reply: HELP! starter problems.