Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with OEM stereo wiring...

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
cmoore
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with OEM stereo wiring...

I thought I had everything sorted, and about to be able to install a Blaupunkt Charleston sqr26 from a 924s into my 944s which had no radio when I bought it. The wiring was hacked, and I was able to source a pigtail with the assorted harness from a NJ parts car. But it is not exactly what I was originally expecting. The harness was basically (3) separately taped up legs. All originally coming from three wires (brown, red and green) from deep behind the dash. (the donor car did not have the 10 speaker set up or the blaupunkt amp. But it appears that they may have been prewired with it. The largest diameter red wire goes first to the amp (if it had one) but is essentially back fed from the female blade spade type connector to a smaller gauge wire red wire that feeds the power to the radio. The large brown ground wire first goes to the radio and then back feeds to the ground at the amp. The third green wire (switched 12v) just goes strait to the radio.

This drawing of the actual wiring harness is very good in this previous post. But also took some time to understand as many of these things are back fed/bridged.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...rly-944-a.html

But that gets me to my question/problem. This drawing/diagram shows the six pin plastic harness that goes into the radio itself with only pin 5 not used. In the wiring harness I just picked up, pin 6 is the pin that is missing. And in the back of my Charleston, pin 3 is the only one not used. Given there are very minor discrepancies between the drawing and what I have, (drawing shows green wire bridged), just trying to figure out which way to reconcile. Further adding to confusion, the OEM wiring diagrams while being hard to read at small scale, suggest that pins 1-6 out on that radio are not in sequential order. I can relocate pins from the plastic connector, but I just want to be sure that they are going to the correct pins n the Charleston itself. I know something could be bridged not using one of the radio pin outs, but seemingly the one i need is the solid red which is the constant power. (My pin 5, drawings pin 6) So
pin 6 missing

pin 3 missing
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
cmoore
Intermediate

Default follow-up

i just found this in an ebay listing:
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
cmoore
Intermediate

saved image doesn't show up.
but this link should more or less get you there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204638773611

if you go to page six, the bottom corner seems to indicate the pin out diagram.
1 = ground/brown
2 = 14v green
3 = not used
4 = antennae
5 = constant 12v
6 = ar dk switching (not entirely sure what that translates to)

More or less consistent with the drawing of the wires from the center console harness. And in fact, pins 1, 2, 4, 5 all seem to match up properly. The drawing indicates pin 3 as lighting, where as the radio pin 6 says AR-DK switching. I don't know what that means, but unless lost in translation, it doesn't quite seem like "lighting" is the same as AR-DK switching.......
And as pin 3 seems to say lighting, as it is not bridged, i assume it is lighting/necessary for something at the radio itself.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
cmoore
Intermediate

I temporarily plugged everything back in and have sound. Not sure which features I may or may not have. Hopefully it will begin to be clear, what, if anything i still may need to do.

Quick Reply: Help with OEM stereo wiring...