Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing gear impossible to remove

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 951, you will need to remove the coolant pipe running across the engine bay in order to pull the fans out the top as the oil cooler lines prevent them from coming out the bottom (in my experience at least, others have gotten them out the bottom). It's 4 bolts and a couple of hose clamps. You'll want it out of the way once you start cranking engine over while tensioing the belts. Don't forget to unplug the coolant temp/fan switch first otherwise the shroud will get hung up on it. Pull them away from the radiator as far as they will go then rotate and pull them up and out. Simple

Originally posted by yoyoguy2
ah ha. the source of our miscommunication.

yeah the problem is there are several hard pipes that run across the front of the radiator above the fans, so you can't lift it high enough to rotate it. also, the external oil cooler line runs right under the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side, so it can't slide down. it looks like i have to take off a bunch of the coolant hoses, which i was also trying to avoid doing, but it seems there's no way out.

anyway, thanks for the help, i'm taking a break for a while but i'll post how it turns out, possibly weeks from now
Old 06-25-2004, 05:17 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew there had to be a way.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:51 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about your gear, I usually grip the flange on the outside with a large pair of channel-lock type pliers and then tap on the pliers with a hammer, also try some Kroil or some other type of penetrating oil.

Quick Reply: timing gear impossible to remove