Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Brake pad warning

After changing my wheels and tires on my 1009 S2, I now have an intermittent brake pad warning light. I probably have a bad connection to one of the sensors, but the question is which one? Is there an easy way to test the pad wear sensors? I'm thinking if I find the module where all the sensor wires converge I can bypass each corner until the warning stops popping up, then repair the one sensor that is acting up. The hard part is that the warning does not appear in the driveway, I have to drive around a bit before I get it so I cannot just pull wheels and ohm the sensor wires until I find the right one.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
-Joel.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have all of mine unplugged. I dont know if my light is supposed to be going off, but my pads were complete junk when I took them out (almost to the metal) so my sensors were equally junk and I did not have 10 bucks per sensor to spend at the time. I don't have any lights on with no sensors connected. Maybe try that and just pay attention to your brake pad wear? I can see the pads even with phone dials, so unless maybe you got d90's shouldn't be too difficult. HTH!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:51 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pad senors are one continous loop. Break the loop anywhere and on goes the light. I don't know where they all meet up in one spot but it is most likely you did something down at the wheels. Either the final plug has a problem or you frayed the wires.

Just pull apart the final pigtail connector to the sensor pad, make a bent jumper wire and stick that into the plug of the pair of wires that leads to the pigtail plug. Do one wheel at a time. When the light stops going on you found the problem pigtail.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah I could do that. the problem is I'd have to crawl under and disconnect a pad wear sensor, shunt it, and go driving to see if I've found the bad one. The sensor is in circuit until I've driven it a bit, maybe gotten on the brakes to get some movement in the suspension. then I get the warning light. It's probably a front sensor since the rears are not as exposed to damage. Every time I shut down and restart the car the light is off, and rockign the car in the driveway did not replicate the problem.

I'd hoped the sensors were wired in a star pattern to a module somewhere that I could fool with without getting under the car. With a simple test light or (tone generator) I could figure out which sensor was flakey. Ah well. I can try to find the flakey one with a DMM in the driveway or just put new ones on. I like the wear sensors, I'd prefer not to disable the whole system.

Thanks,
-Joel.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:33 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Iceshark.. you are sure about that loop bit? I just disconnected all of mine and keep an eye on the pads (I change them out at least 2x a year) I was under the impression when the sensor grounded out to the rotor that set off the light.

Hmmmm
Old 06-25-2004, 01:20 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use a paperclip if you just want to keep the light off. The sensors are like $14 each I believe.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:05 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Iceshark.. you are sure about that loop bit? I just disconnected all of mine and keep an eye on the pads (I change them out at least 2x a year) I was under the impression when the sensor grounded out to the rotor that set off the light.

Hmmmm
It would work that way if there was one wire going to each sensor, however theres two wires per.

I just shorted my rears out. I hacked the old sensor wires off, twisted and taped, and done. People kept asking about the light lol.

Quick Reply: Brake pad warning