Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooters Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 05:47 PM
henreezi
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

alright sweet going to check that out now.
Old 07-27-2024, 07:52 PM
Lloyd Forcellini
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default inconsistent starting and rough idle issue.

Originally Posted by henreezy
I’ve been having an idling issue with my 85.5 944 and am desperately searching for a solution. The car had been starting strange and making sharp crank sounds before starting after a couple gos, and then surging between 1-3k RPM. Sometimes it’d start fine, sometimes it’d start fine and then develop the same surge while driving. In my latest attempt to fix it, I replaced the ICV and icv hoses, cleaned grounds, and replaced the manifold gaskets. Also did the heater control valve while in there. The PO had the vacuum lines replaced (Lindsey kit). The car after that still started bad at first then would start and die quickly, and then for a few good tries started great and idled perfect 1-1.2k RPM. Few minutes later wouldn’t start or faded.

I plan on replacing the throttle bottle seals and potentially looking into the TPS but need to do more research. If anyone can help me solve this I’d be forever greatful 🙇‍♂️.

best,
Mark Bogle
I had simular issue and I found it was a weak crank position sensor. The sensor even made a pulse, but only on a ociliscope did I see it was half the amplitude the service manual showed. I replaced it with a new sensor and all was right again. I had tryed an unknown condition sensor and it didn't work.
I have a 88 951 production race car.
Lloyd
The following 2 users liked this post by Lloyd Forcellini:
henreezi (07-30-2024), peanut (07-28-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 12:38 AM
henreezi
AutoX

Hello Lloyd, thank you for your response. I contacted the PO and if the crank position sensor is the same as speed and/or reference sensors, he already replaced them. I looked online and it looks like people use these terms interchangeably? Feel free to correct me. I believe there may be a sensor issue, but am first going to try and set my TPS as I did not do that when I installed my new unit
Old 08-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Chalt
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by henreezi
if the crank position sensor is the same as speed and/or reference sensors, he already replaced them.
You are correct. The speed and reference sensors are what the 944 uses as a crank position sensor. There isn't another separate crank sensor.

Old Yesterday, 02:31 AM
henreezi
AutoX

The PO sent me this when I asked about the dme. Has anyone heard of this place? There’s an apparent warranty so that’s comforting.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooters Needed