Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clubsport option for 944, need info

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004 | 03:16 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally posted by tifosiman
Do you know where he sourced that little rear tow-eye that goes under the rear bumper on the right side near the shock support?
This is stock equipment on turbo Cup cars
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:23 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Tifosi I think I can understand how to do door panels. I need some black ones. I can remove the armrest and undertray on it. Then just drill a big hole, put a piece of nylon looped with a plastic cap like that of the 993 and 964 RS panels and voila, home made!!!

As for the holes? HOw about some of those little carpet clips or screw caps?

Andy
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:26 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Tifosi I forgot to ask you, is your car an original M637, or are you thinking of the same thing I am Lets do a dealer/enthusiast installed conversion

Andy
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:29 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally posted by TheStig
Then just drill a big hole, put a piece of nylon looped with a plastic cap like that of the 993 and 964 RS panels and voila, home made!!!
'C*nt Spoof' 944 anyone ?

Just kidding

Good luck on your conversions.

Cheers
Thom
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:29 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Tifosi I think I can understand how to do door panels. I need some black ones. I can remove the armrest and undertray on it. Then just drill a big hole, put a piece of nylon looped with a plastic cap like that of the 993 and 964 RS panels and voila, home made!!!

As for the holes? HOw about some of those little carpet clips or screw caps?

Andy
Nope. Take the donor panels and cut the top off. Then fabricate a flat lower section using the part you cut off as a template. I used some masonite as the backing material. Then cover with matching vinyl stock (bought from Joanne Fabrics) and drill the proper holes to match. Then mount the two pieces along with your pull and handle. I need to mount mine, they are 99% done. Here is a pic of the ones in GeorgeK's cup car:
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:43 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Those door panels kick ***!!!! Awesome! Have you done those to your car yet???

Andy
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:48 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

I have all of the pieces except for the handles. The parts are cut, I need to finish by covering the masonite with the vinyl, source some handles I like, and then mount them.

I have been delaying a bit because I am waiting for all of the bits for the manual windows to become available from Paragon, and then I want to order some 968 ClubSport mirrors. I'd like to do everything at the same time so I don't have to tear things apart 3 times.

But when done, they will look just like the pic above. I just can't decide if I am going to use handles similar to those or red nylon pulls.

Old 06-25-2004 | 03:52 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I'd go with the pulls, those are sweet! Good Luck with your project, lemme know about you clubsport decal too! I think I'm gonna pay the 240 from the dealer, not including PCA discount.

Andy
Old 06-25-2004 | 06:17 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

I really hope someone on here razzes me about my decal. I'd be happy to unload both barrells on them.

As I said before, no matter what you may do to your car(s), I won't say anything more about it. The point needs to made though that there are other owners of other vehicles out there that we as a collective often attack for doing these same things.

Micah
Old 06-25-2004 | 06:20 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

to each his own....if we like the M637 features we like em. It's our cars...just as longas there's nothing having to do with a "Type R" on our cars.

Andy
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:26 PM
Thom
Race Car

It's our cars...just as longas there's nothing having to do with a "Type R" on our cars.
I'm with Micah on this one, this is really all too subjective.

These stickers, whereas they're the "turbo" or the "Club Sport", were "rice" in their days. Any unitiated today would laugh at such a typically eighties feature. I even happen to laugh at this sticker when I open the garage.
Porsche have often offered to their customer cosmetic features that were considered by many as "tasteless". Look at some of the ridiculous slantnose 911 with impossibly wide tires, for example. Look at the 968 TS : externally it's just a 968 to which they fitted big wheels and a big rear wing. I've seen one close (even been driven in it) and objectively it's not more admirable/respectable than some over-the-top decorated jap cars.
This is all factory rice IMO.

I put this sticker much more because it's a very rare factory feature than because I like it, to be honest. It just makes my S2 a bit less common without having to go over the deep end with senseless mods.

Anyway, each to their own, as you said.
Old 06-25-2004 | 08:49 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Thom I agree on that one too. It is rare, which attracted me to the M637 also and is what started this thread. I like the option alot and it's very unique. Of course I'm going to add the features that also were included with M637 also.

Andy
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:46 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally posted by Micah Jones
I really hope someone on here razzes me about my decal. I'd be happy to unload both barrells on them.

As I said before, no matter what you may do to your car(s), I won't say anything more about it. The point needs to made though that there are other owners of other vehicles out there that we as a collective often attack for doing these same things.

Micah
1. I wasn't talking about you.
2. Don't include me as being part of "we".
3. I'm not putting a "turbo" decal or some other crap like that on my car, I'm trying to emulate something that "may have been".
4. If you want to start to classify me as some sort of "wannabe", let me take you for a ride in my 944 sometime. I'm not just slapping decals on my car.

Sorry if you and Thom don't like it.
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:50 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I'm in the boat with you Tifosi, unfortunately with low funds, I can only settle for M030s, 220 lb springs and replacement Boges. Perhaps I should take on a job related to this weeks poll in the OT

Andy
Old 06-26-2004 | 02:38 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Tifo,

Tried to send a PM but your box was full - can't send you an e-mail either, so here goes:

In case you've forgotten, I've seen your car in person before, tailed it through the twisties and was very complimentary towards you.

That having been said, if you don't want a smartass response, don't post a smartass comment about "unloading both barrels" on someone who doesn't agree with your style. I never suggested that anyone was a "wannabe" - you're the one who introduced this term. No one here is trying to deceive the general populous by doing any of this - I think that's a well-known fact. Therefore, I certainly wouldn't label you with this term, and I imagine no one else would either.

I know that some on this board have been heavy-handed with this issue in the past (and caused you to leave for it) and I really wanted to avoid that. Again, I never meant to criticize your or anyone else's car. I just wanted to point out a thought of mine... and for the record, that's what a message forum is for.

Finally, you've put a lot of work into your car and I know you are justifiably proud.

Micah

Quick Reply: Clubsport option for 944, need info