Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod bearing wear, second opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 05:44 PM
Yoeri
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the advice, I though I'd leave behind a short update to close the thread, with some pictures for whoever is interested.

Old rod bearings and nuts
Replaced all the bearings, ended up measuring them with plastigage and they are all around the middle of the allowable tolerance/spec.
Replaced all the seals/gaskets etc. on the engine and dropped it back in the car (from the top).

Engine almost ready to go back in (I know its a mess in the background, had to make some room for the engine rebuild)

Engine back in

I've currently driven around 200km and it seems to be doing great! Looking to replace the oil again at around 500km to flush out any debris.
Old 06-28-2024, 10:51 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 232 Posts

Also recommend checking bearing to journal clearance (rods and crank) with plastigauge before you button it up for the final time. Yes plastigauge isnt perfect, but some data is better than no data.

EDIT: Nevermind I see you already completed the rebuild
Old 06-28-2024, 04:20 PM
Yoeri
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
Also recommend checking bearing to journal clearance (rods and crank) with plastigauge before you button it up for the final time. Yes plastigauge isnt perfect, but some data is better than no data.

EDIT: Nevermind I see you already completed the rebuild
I just re-read my original update and it may not have been very clear.... sorry
I did exactly that, measured the bearings and then used plastigauge to measure the clearance, which was right in the middle of the allowable spec.
The following users liked this post:
jeyjey (06-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Rod bearing wear, second opinion needed