Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Ecology RANT (its april fools day right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 07:58 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, what do you want me to say?

gb
Old 06-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will vouch for George as a seller. My first 944 has numerous parts from him, he is also one of the very knowledgable crowd. If you didnt like his price you should have just moved on and not posted it here. As to pick up, well that is up to the vendor not the customer.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

What's the issue? As Matt H says, if you don't like the price, move on.

Sam
Old 06-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ease up George guys. He has been a loooong time Rennlister, although I think he was/is more active on the email list. He is very knowledgeable about 944's, and is on the PCA national tech committee for the 944's. If you don't like his prices, don't buy anything from him.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, no kidding. George is one of the most knowledgeable folks around regarding this series of cars. I do have to say i didn't like his canned answer in the most recent Pano about 944 engine swaps (I'll elaborate if you would like George). But unless the guy told you to shove the parts up your *** or something why give him grief about what he wants to sell the parts for that he has. Those parts are becoming kind of dear and you will, I think, soon have a hard time finding them for much less than what he wanted.

Hey, I know, why not call AA or PAP and see if they will sell you some.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:14 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

I'll say two things about George..
Number one, I'm jealous. we all know there is a lot of $$$ parting these things out. Sure, we only see the green pastures with cars being worth more apart than together and the prices attached to various parts... but how many have room in the yard, zoning, a co-operative S/O or a place to dismantle cars? Isn't it a dream to all of us to part out a TS and have all the best spare parts in the world? I'm sure there is plenty of headaches involved with stripped shells, storage, griping customers and shipping, etc. Demand prices that the market can bear. Why not? ya got to make money, that is what business is all about.
Number two is probably BS but he advertises "no part too small". I needed a dark blue body plug for my A-pillar.. Normally I wouldn't call on such a tiny item, but I did because he advertised that. He said he didn't have it, fair enough. BUT when I see him advertise parting out this and that, so many cars going thru the machine I think "he's GOT to have it, he just didn't want to deal with it". I'd have paid $10 at the time.. Oh well. Power to ya, GB.
I would be interested in hearing why a guy 2.5 miles away can't pick up a part, though!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:39 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 477 Posts

Well for one his prices are rediculous.....and he was rude on the phone. Period end of story. Whether or not hes knowledgable about 944 series ect that not the point Im making, Im sure he's knowledgable, but people skills need a big 180 turn....and so do his prices. I ranted becuase of this, I wanted to see if others had similiar results from him or not. People on this board rant all the time about bad dealings with part distributors ect. so for once Im pissed a bit and am ranting, I also know of a good handful of people that as soon as I said 944 ecology turned away with a disgruntled look and they say the same thing to me. I also tried to avoid making it a personal attack, I left out his name and used his company name instead.

Tifo-I want to get rid of my spacers up front and update to a lighter suspension. I will prolly be working on rear components soon. Granted the prices for the a-arms are "somewhat" reasonable but the other prices are insane.

yeildsign-anyway you could source those parts for me

whaaaa whaaa blah blah blah-chris

Best regards to all and I apologize if this has hurt anyones feelings...
Old 06-23-2004, 01:50 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

As has already been said here, Geo B is one of the true patron saints of Porsche 944's. He's offered a ton of help over the years to countless numbers of folks on the email lists, and I personally hope to see him contributing more here as well. Geo is a stand-up guy.

FTY, I am not discounting your experience and won't comment on it, one way or the other, as I wasn't there, but its seems to be inconsistent with the Geo B I have watched online for years now... This is the first bad press I can ever recall seeing on 944 Ecology.

Regards,
Old 06-23-2004, 01:59 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Just want to chime in that George has been very cordial to me when I called him out of the blue and mentioned my hard "miss" in the upper 5000 RPM range...he tells me it is a broken inner exhaust valve spring without missing a beat (it was). I need the little cheesehead screws for my door stops?, yup, he's got 'em...then I've got 'em a couple of days later. Were they cheap? No, but you shoulda heard the dealer price. I almost swallowed my gum!

Seriously, George is a business man and I doubt seriously he ever means to be rude. If he's busy or you catch him on a tough day (we all have them) then maybe he wasn't at his best. If you don't care for the quoted price? Vote with your feet! Walk away.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:44 AM
Joliett
Intermediate

I can also vouch for George. Besides prices, which is definately NOT everything, he is perhaps the most knowledgable 944 expert on the East Coast (besides me). Ask any Porsche Club member, ask any Porsche club racer, ask any engineer. You can always go to a junk yard and get a junk part. george has been the best dealer in porsche parts in all the years since I owned my first 1983 - 944 . He helped me maintain my Porsche beauty for over 1/2 million miles. When the transmission was making noises, he not only sold me the tranny, but took it back laughing when it wasn't the transmision at all. (I then actually put my 450k mile tranny BACK! it had LIMITED SLIP - all in one day). With George - it's not price that's really as important as QUALITY and KNOWLEDGE and HONESTY and his answering the phone when you need him MOST! And believe me he is there when you need him most. So you guys who don't know, I swear, if you ask me, he is the greatest used porsche parts guy in the world. And I should know ... I am a licensed NYS engineer - and maintained all my cars and business trucks myself for over 40 years.
Sorry George if I touted to much...but I really think that guy went overboard.

Last edited by Joliett; 06-23-2004 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:20 AM
Joliett
Intermediate

Oh yea...Some people don't like how expensive Porsche's are...but almost anyone who owns one knows why - QUALITY...truck like parts...bearings like on trains...engines and systems that last a lifetime. Don't like the price? Buy a Hoodini.

And I wouldn't let you pick it up either! And I love (and miss) those 16" Fuchs!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fty, have you ever had a bad day? Not been your jolly self to everyone around you? Ever need a break? nuf said on that...

GOOD, used Porsche parts are worth money. George B has always had fair prices and STANDS behind his parts. I bought an 89 LSD tranny from him. It was within $100 of what was in the classifieds and others wanted for one around here. One little part was missing from it,,,George could have charged me for it and I told him if I had to pay for it, no problem but he sent it free. This is simply a deal that you get what you pay for. If I need a used a part, I'm close to OK Foreign for shipping. If George has it for the same amount, I'll pay the extra shipping and get it from George.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally posted by Ski
[B]fty, have you ever had a bad day? Not been your jolly self to everyone around you? Ever need a break? nuf said on that...

/B]
So I guess everytime I called him he was having a bad day? & everyone else I have spoken to about him, he was also having a bad day? Interesting....I called hima few years back and got the same high prices and same attitude. I guess I have bad luck and so does everyone else Ive talked to regarding 944 ecology. I know everyones not "jolly" everyday big guy......

FURTHER MORE-

Oh and keep thinking porsche parts are expensive just becuase they say PORSCHE on them and youll keep paying alot.....Ive sourced the parts i needed and am paying $465(high qouted price) for all the parts that I was qouted 1500 from 944 ecology, less than 35% of what was qouted by 944 ecology.

Rude service and extremely high prices.....oh well they say porsche on them...that makes it ok. Makes Sense.

-Chris

Last edited by Graufuchs; 06-23-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:40 PM
911Ken
Cruisin'

I had to deal with this guy too. His people skills are non-existent. Obviously he's not a good business man. He's aggravated half his customers and overcharged the other half. He's not in if for the cars, as some of you are claiming, he's in it for a quick buck. Had I had a useful factual information about an encounter like FTY's long ago I would have never tried to get parts from this guy. It's called feedback guys..and it's not always good. What I think FTY is saying is that why advertise yourself as a business if your really a professional a*#hole. Some people want the parts and not the attitude.. getting a power trip off of selling used car parts is worthy of psychological help. Don't defend this guy if you've never tried to do business with him..there is a lot of opinions floating around this post from people who have never even heard of the guy or have just seen him posting on the forum. You should all be praising FTY for the heads up , not criticizing him for trying to warn you.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this post has finally made me want to contribute to this thread. I'll just pick through your post here. First point: "Obviously he's not a good business man". HA! He must put up some kind of front then b/c I don't know many other terrible business men who can run a difficult business (like dealing with used car parts) and be successful at it for years (how many years has it been, George?).

Next: "He's not in if for the cars, as some of you are claiming, he's in it for a quick buck." Ok, you start a business and give everything away for free. See how far you get. Of course, he's in it for the money but he's also around to help. He wouldn't have any involvement in Rennlist if he didn't give a sh*t about the people. He contributes A LOT on the email list. I don't blame him sometimes for avoiding the forums. It's easy to find parts cheap when so many younger owners are wrecking cars and just looking to get some money back. If it's your livelihood and you provide some level of service, sure you're going to ask more money for the same parts. You can't compete with everyone.

Third: "You should all be praising FTY for the heads up". Just b/c someone is left with a bad taste in their mouth after a phone call is no reason to go mouthing off about it in a public forum. George didn't screw him out of money and take a month to ship him parts. He quoted his prices. Get over it if you don't like them. You should be posting about how happy you are that you found cheap parts.

Ok, I feel a little better now.

Originally posted by 911Ken
I had to deal with this guy too. His people skills are non-existent. Obviously he's not a good business man. He's aggravated half his customers and overcharged the other half. He's not in if for the cars, as some of you are claiming, he's in it for a quick buck. Had I had a useful factual information about an encounter like FTY's long ago I would have never tried to get parts from this guy. It's called feedback guys..and it's not always good. What I think FTY is saying is that why advertise yourself as a business if your really a professional a*#hole. Some people want the parts and not the attitude.. getting a power trip off of selling used car parts is worthy of psychological help. Don't defend this guy if you've never tried to do business with him..there is a lot of opinions floating around this post from people who have never even heard of the guy or have just seen him posting on the forum. You should all be praising FTY for the heads up , not criticizing him for trying to warn you.

Quick Reply: 944 Ecology RANT (its april fools day right?