Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Koni rear coil-overs

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 02:05 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to be out of touch today.

Tifo, they do install as shown. Notice the offset at the top to allow for spring clearance. Separate bump and rebound adjustments are external and can be made with the shock mounted. These units are already field tested and the feedback is very positive. I encourage anyone who uses these to feedback to this forum (positives only, please... j/k )

Porsche-O-Phile, Unfortunately, they will not fit the early car without modification. I believe you'll find info in the archives here about what it takes to run late shocks in early cars. I've never personally attempted it, but I hear all you really need is a 14mm-to-12mm sleeve to insert in the upper and lower mounts. I would absolutely love to hear from anyone who has actually done this.

Riff, They do in fact use the factory upper and lower mounting positions and bolts. No modifications are necessary (this satisfies club racing and autocross rules regarding stock mounting points.)

944pete, just a reminder - you still suck!

streckfu's951, LOL - let's not forget that there are no less than 3 suitable test vehicles in the Paragon crew stables if these parts needs-a-testin'

Oddjob, ding-ding-ding FYI, they don't run inverted because they are not gas monotubes - they are hydraulic twin-tube construction.

ryans, you may be right. If so, we'd certainly love to do just that.

Karl, 1. the primary reason we say not to use them as an independent coil-over is because of the bushings. Any reliable and worthwhile coil-over you find to completely replace the stock torsion bar assembly should have heavy duty mounts top and bottom, like spherical bushing for example. These coil-overs were specifically designed by Porsche and Koni to be run with torsion bars. Further, without some alternative lower mounting apparatus to the Racer's edge mount, you are at great risk from lower bolt failure. The Racer's Edge mount is designed to be used with an industry standard 1/2" shock eyelet - the lower shock eyelet is the Porsche standard 14mm on these units. You could look at our opinion as one of erring on the side of safety. For those wishing to remove torsion bars and run coil-overs only, we recommend the 3012 or 2812 racing shocks (with Racer's edge lower mounts included in the kit).
2. There really is no perfect Koni front strut to match now that the 8742-1007S is out of production. The Koni conversion of the OE late model M030 height adjustable strut is certainly the best option for those with the core to provide (getting very rare.) The 8641-1414S (late model) and 8641-1038S (early model) are going to be the closest match. We recommend no higher than a 400# front spring on these, so some heavy duty racing applications would need to step up to something a bit beefier like the 2817. We hope to have available soon an alternative double-adjustable Koni that would match perfectly with the new rear coil-over discussed here. Give me a couple weeks to work on this - I think we may have a solution.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have the information regarding using late model shocks on the early cars? Is the 12mm to 14mm sleeve all that is needed? I have additional concerns about the shock fitting inside the lower cup of the early steel arms.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Paragon needs an early 944 in their stable to test things.

Interesting about the twin-tube dampers not being able to be run up-side down. Are you certain about that? I was planning on getting 8212s and running them up-side down (they are TTH) but now you have me thinking I may need to go with 3012s. I cannot find any documentation either way in my Koni catalog.

Interestingly enough, these dampers you have look a lot like the 8211 (steel bodied version of the 8212) with rubber mounts instead of spherical bearings.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:41 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Skip

944pete, just a reminder - you still suck!
Birdbrain!

Like UDPride says "Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful"
Old 06-23-2004, 05:06 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally posted by Skip
...We hope to have available soon an alternative double-adjustable Koni that would match perfectly with the new rear coil-over discussed here. Give me a couple weeks to work on this - I think we may have a solution.
We'll be waiting with baited breath!

Karl.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys, the problem with running them on the early car is that the bump adjuster fouls on the lower mounting cradle...haven't overcome that hurdle yet.

George, I'll double check on the 8212's.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

George, no luck on running the 8212's inverted. You may consider the 3012's or a 30 series shock instead. Sorry
Old 06-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
George, no luck on running the 8212's inverted. You may consider the 3012's or a 30 series shock instead. Sorry
Thanks for checking on that. I was wanting to keep the TTH in the rear to go with the fronts, but yeah, you're right, I'll probably use the 3012s. I drool over the 281X set-up, but that will take too much of a chunk out of my budget. Perhaps hafter building a proper IT engine.

BTW folks, for those wondering if this deal is a good one, it's rocking. As I said, they appear to be based upon the steel version 8211. They run about $425 each. Not including springs or perch or hat.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone else find it amazing that no less than FIFTEEN years since our cars went out of production, these products are STILL coming to market?

Gotta love Koni, Porsche and the guys at Paragon!

RK

Quick Reply: new Koni rear coil-overs