Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figured out my "Clunk"... Wheel Bearing Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Figured out my "Clunk"... Wheel Bearing Advice?

I jacked up the front of the car. Wheel bearings are the culprit it seems. there is play in every direction, dad says it's pretty far gone wheel bearings. You can see the wheel/rotor moving wihtout the caliper moving. it's just a small shake that you can get it to do in any direction.

so wheel bearings it is (unless somone has a better idea).

1. Is there an adjustment i should try first? or should i just go in and change em all? it's been clunking for a week or two now, if that matters. It only does it on light left hand turns.

2. Wheres the best place to buy them if that is what i need to do? (people who have bought them before and found the best prices, let me know)

3. My dad said ic ould probably just get them at my local parts supplier. Is there any difference in wheel bearings?

4. What grease do you need to use?

thanks.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can get them at napa, advanced auto, etc....advanced had them in stock when i did them. You can do the inners and outers on both sides for about 40 bucks. Just pack them with regular bearing grease
Old 06-20-2004, 02:51 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you tighten the big axle nut back down, just tighten it until you can barely move the washer behind it with a screwdriver.

I'm glad it was something minor (cheap).
Old 06-20-2004, 02:55 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure when you get them that you also get the rear seals as well.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, however. Before you replace anything see if the bearings are simply loose (it happens). Remove the wheel and hub cap. Get a wide flat head screw driver and place it between the front bearing's washer and the outside of the hub, try to move the washer around from multiple angles. If it moves at all, get a 6mm hex key (allen head) and loosen the hub "nut" (that funky German clamp they use in place of a normal castle nut). Tighten the hub nut until the washer ceases to move with manipulation from the flat head screwdriver. Tighten the hub nut clamp, replace the cap and wheel and check for play once again. If there is still play, make sure that it is both excessive and not coming from the strut before replacing the wheel bearings and seal.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the help guys, especially pete the last few days and kevin for that writeup... ill try to get to that today sometime

Quick Reply: Figured out my "Clunk"... Wheel Bearing Advice?