Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagram: How to remove that #$%^ing Snap ring! (this ones a keeper!)

Old 06-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Why is it sucb a bitch on our cars?"

Hanz and Franz engineers decided to build some dealer-profit items into these cars. Unbeknownst to us, Porsche dealers have an automated top-secret tool that they use to remove the circlip. I've only been able to see from afar, across the street in a rented upstairs office with tinted glass and high-power telescope peering into their service bays.

The tech removed the radiator hose and brought out what looked like a hockey puck. He stuffed it down the engine,which I couldn't see, but can only imagined that the puck fitted into the opening in front of the water-pump. After about 3-seconds he pulled up and had the puck in his hand with the thermostat and circlip attached. Then I saw him remove a new thermostat from the box and put it onto the puck thing. Then he reached down into the engine and came back up about 3-seconds later. After re-installing the radiator hose, the entire thermostat-replacement job took a total of 5-minutes !!! And I had paid these jokers $150 to get it done after reading how difficult the job was. That's $1,800/hr they're making for the dealership. One guy in Vegas fought his for two full weeks, then finally gave up and had the car towed to the dealer!

I'm not sure what mechanisms are in operation with the hockey-puck tool here, if it's purely a mechanical wrench-type thingie with pins that are pre-positioned just right to remove the circlip. Or if there's some sort of electronic intelligence going on; which I suspect since it was done so quickly. I bet it's alien technology from Area-51. I'n gonna check with one of my friends who used to work for a Porsche dealer to see if he can get a part# for this special tool. Figured we could start up another tool-club like for the belt-tensioner.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My second given name is Hans but it haven't helped me one bit with that son-of-a-gun-thermostat!

I'm gonna give it a second chance to try to remove that thing, but if it doesn't work I'm gonna tow it to a dealer I can't afford to spend more spare time on that simple annoying thing.
Crazy isn't it...I'll probably end up spending more time changing the thermostat than I need to change a 951-headgasket!!

So Danno, how much of that story is true?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diagram: How to remove that #$%^ing Snap ring! (this ones a keeper!)