Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need engine removal help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 05:40 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need engine removal help

swapping engines so that I can make it to 944 fest,
I have everything done except for:
1. disconnecting fuel lines
2. removing starter
3 removing exhaust
4. and belhousing etc. stuff

I know how to do #1 but what about the other parts, I am totally clueless, where is the starter? what part of the exhaust should I disconnect? and please explain simpily what i need to do about the whole bellhousing issue? I want to have this baby out by tommorrow. I am planning on going out the top, because that means not having to mess with the suspension etc.

anyone have pictures and detailed directions for any of this, I am using the factory manuals, haynes manuals, and clarks garage manuals, but am still a little lost.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:44 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter is on the bottom of the engine towards the rear. As for the exhaust you should remove at least the cat pipe. The bellhousing stays on the engine (at least when removing engine out the bottom it does). You need to unbolt the bellhousing from the torque tube, though (4 bolts and then slide the engine forward off the driveshaft...this is the last step).

You also need to remove the clutch slave and let it dangle on the hose.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macfreak007, If you are going out the top, then I would recommend you remove the radiator fans to give you some more space to the front to slide the engine. Once you unbold the torque tube from the bell housing, the drive shaft is still about 6 inches in the bellhousing so the engine has to slide forwards a good deal. The best way is to work slowly and pull the engine out the top at an angle (front of the engine slightly higher then the back). Ive done it both ways, and its possible to pull it out the top, just takes some work. Good luck, post if you have more questions.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:02 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing the starter is cake. It is on the driver's side of the motor at the bottom and is held on with two bolts (19mm I think). You will also have to liberate the three cables that are attached to it. Even I, of the very slow, steady, and methodical persuasion, can get it off in 15 minutes.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Up or down...its smart to remove the fans AND the radiator. I nearly damaged my radiator trying to pull the engine down. Extra clearance is always nice anyways...

Quick Reply: need engine removal help