Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove A-arm while preserving alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004 | 12:26 AM
2+2
Pro

Default Remove A-arm while preserving alignment?

Alright, I am going to try to do my Rennbay ball joint kit this Sunday. ..hopefully. I understand the procedure for doing the ball joint itself since there are good instructions. However, not too much detail instructions is available about removing the arms themselves in a manner to maintain alignment.

Anyone have any pictures of the arm removal procedures?

What does this mean from RacerX site?
"Undo the sway-bar end-link. THen remove the front A-arm pivot bolt, be careful to not damage the steering-rack boots (install that #$&! bolt from the rear next time). The rear pivot should be removed by taking the entire caster-block off the car, leaving the pivot & caster-block on the A-arm itself (this will preserve your alignment settings)."

Clarks-garage refers to eccentric bolt and marking its orientation...not sure relative to what?

Or is all of this miraculously going to make sense when I take the wheel off?
TIA
Old 06-19-2004 | 12:37 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Remove A-arm while preserving alignment?

Originally posted by 2+2

Clarks-garage refers to eccentric bolt and marking its orientation...not sure relative to what?
The orientation of how/where the bottom of the strut is mounted to the spindle. That's where the camber is adjusted.

Mark where it is now, that will make it easier to get it back in the same spot when it goes back together.

It will be more obvious wwhen you get in there.
Old 06-19-2004 | 12:45 AM
Danno
Race Director

No need to mark any eccentric bolt on the strut. The strut says on the car with the spindle so camber isn't touched. Just unclamp the bolt on the bottom of the spindle that clamps onto the ball-joint pin and that's it. Leave everything above it alone.
Old 06-19-2004 | 12:57 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Re. your write-up Danno, good info in general, but it is accepted as bad form to install a bolt in a rear to front orientation on any vehicle. If a nut works off (not likely really) a fastener oriented rear to front (the bolt is inserted from the rear) the premiss is that the bolt could then work itself out the back, opposite of the forward motion. Not a big deal, just common mechanic/engineering practice.

BTW, if you put a jack under the balljoint and compress the suspension some, you will move the tie rod just enough to get better clearance to get that bolt out without mangling the boot.
Old 06-19-2004 | 09:40 AM
2+2
Pro

Thanks...clearer than mud but like murky water...I hope it makes more sense when I get in there.

Quick Reply: Remove A-arm while preserving alignment?