Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a bad heater control valve cause these symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 08:14 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Could a bad heater control valve cause these symptoms?

1) On idle the temp increases, often up to the fans on high point or right to the second normal range mark. Fans dont cool it down.

2) On the highway cruising, same as above. Or in stop light to stop light. Day or night doesnt make a difference for 1 or 2.

3) Turn on the heat... Temp drops, pretty quick too. Turn heat off... Temp slowly begins to rise. How quick will depend on weather im on boost or not. I was able to repeat this easily 20 times in a row, exactly the same thing each time. When I turn the temp **** to max, there will be a very faint click behind the dash a second or two after, thats when the temps drop. Sounds like a relay clicking. It will work the same way weather in motion, or at idle. At 40MPH, 80, or even 100. Only difference is when idling the changes happen slower but they happen.

And lastly...

4) Could a bad heater control valve leak coolant when the car is parked????
Old 06-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1), 2), 3)
This sure looks like a radiator problem at first sight. could also be air trapped inside.
Might want to check the radiator outside first.
Built: 1986, today:2004, So there is a chance that there is about 18 years of crushed highway fly corpses and other undefined debris blocking the fins.
4) Not common (to my knowledge). Failed heater valves tend to open the flow to the core rather than leak.
TakeCare
Old 06-18-2004, 02:35 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Hans
1), 2), 3)
This sure looks like a radiator problem at first sight. could also be air trapped inside.
Might want to check the radiator outside first.
Built: 1986, today:2004, So there is a chance that there is about 18 years of crushed highway fly corpses and other undefined debris blocking the fins.
4) Not common (to my knowledge). Failed heater valves tend to open the flow to the core rather than leak.
TakeCare
At first I thought it was the rad, but it seems to be leaking further back....

Quick Reply: Could a bad heater control valve cause these symptoms?