Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 03:17 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. Perhaps this is one reason we are "looked down upon" by our Porsche brothers - we can sometimes be the found on the other side of the tracks.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:31 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the 911 group is also older than the 944 group.
older=>tamer
younger=>crazier/hornier

Just callin it like I see it.

Oh and for those of you who these avatars bother, come on. Don't go to the beach with your kids because, oh lordy they will see all dem women in bikini's. That would just be to much for any child to take.

At least all the avitars are celebrating beauty and not hate. Maybe I should post a pic of some nice American violence that way no one is offended by beautiful women who are proud of bodies they work hard for. Much less being offended by people displaying beautiful cars whose owners have worked hard for.

Oh well I'm sure someday I will whine about how free this country is and how I can't turn off some little switch that would make it all leave me alone. And then when I instead spend 20 hours trying to convince everyone else to change for me, maybe I will have to eat all of these words.

All right I'm done,
John
Old 06-18-2004, 03:37 PM
icat
Race Car

Most self respecting family men do not take their kids to the beach to begin with - mostly for the reasons you just mentioned. But, you're right about one thing - it's age related. My guess is that you will understand some day.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by johne
younger=>crazier/hornier
I think the word you're looking for is adolescent.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:06 PM
elf89
Pro

On the other hand, except for a minor spat like this occasionally, it's pretty cool that we have a community where young and old participate equally. You don't find that much in real life, but everyone's invisible on the Internet.

I've been invited to join a crew of 20-something 944 owners (Damian, Paul, Brett, Ian) for numerous get-togethers. Being much older with 3 little kids, I haven't found the free time to join them, but I appreciate their invitation and intend to meet them down the road.

On balance, I'd say this is a pretty great forum. If I joined a more "mature" forum and I'd miss the input of someone like Ribs who isn't afraid to tear his car apart in a storage locker and post his adventures and misadventures for all of us to learn from.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Clem
Racer

I've been reading most of these avatar threads and finding them pretty amusing, but this:
Most self respecting family men do not take their kids to the beach to begin with
has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've read.
You're not serious are you??
Old 06-18-2004, 07:30 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Clem,
Yeah I know, I was trying not to say anything. I figure he was just caught up in the moment. I'm sure if he re-read my post he'd agree with it more, but who know maybe not. I'm sure there are some people out there who think that beauty is bad and we should not appreciate those things that we find attractive.

Oh well to each his own.

And that is why I love John D.'s style of administration he really seems to try to keep up the theoretically American philosophy of letting each do his own thing so long as it does not significantly interfere with others. Like giving you the choice of whether you wish to view other people's graphical representations of their personalities (avatar’s) or not. Thanks John D. you da man.

Regards,
John
Old 06-18-2004, 11:37 PM
icat
Race Car

No need to rethink or retype - I stand by what I said. Now, perhaps I should have embellished more...
In the greater Houston/Galveston area we have several beaches. And there are beaches that are designated "family" where drinking isn't allowed and most of us feel comfortable taking our kids. But the point is that a beach HAD to be designated family in the first place. The unregulated beaches are full of 17 to 20 somethings in various states of undress who drink, smoke, and do whatever it is they want (think girls gone wild). Case in point is Crystal beach where I made the mistake of taking the family once. This was before the Galveston city council created the family beach. Nothing like having to explain to your kids what the girls were doing topless having their bodies painted in some open air tent. Or having to explain what the burning rope smell is that seems to follow the crowd. I'm sure there are nice family beaches here in the states were this sort of behavior is not permitted or condoned. If so, by all means take the kids. The beach is a great place to go. unfortunately, not all "public" beaches are equal.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:53 PM
icat
Race Car

Originally posted by johne
I'm sure there are some people out there who think that beauty is bad and we should not appreciate those things that we find attractive.
I've read Tom's original post and all the comments that followed. No where did I find where anyone objected to beauty or the appreciation of "things" we find attractive. Tom's feelings on this subject are shared by many on the board. However, the vocal majority prefer to leave things the way they are. Personally, I'm disappointed in the site and the responses to Tom's request. I feel the current crop of Avatars are better left to the pages of the Victoria Secret catalog. However. I'm even more disappointed by the lack of control some of our "members" seem to have when it comes to acceptable behavior in public. Foul language is rampant on this site even though it is expressly forbidden in the charter. In my opinion this forum, the 944 pages in particular, lost a great deal today because of the bickering and sniping.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:08 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

I vote for the girly avatars. I've seen nothing rude or offensive. Just look at some of the magazine covers in the supermarket checkout lines.... or walk by Victoria's Secret in the mall. Do you shield your kid's eyes then? Perhaps it is a sign of the decline of Western civilization....
Old 06-19-2004, 12:10 AM
icat
Race Car

Perhaps it is - so that makes it ok?
Old 06-19-2004, 01:04 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by icat
I've read Tom's original post and all the comments that followed. No where did I find where anyone objected to beauty or the appreciation of "things" we find attractive. Tom's feelings on this subject are shared by many on the board. However, the vocal majority prefer to leave things the way they are. Personally, I'm disappointed in the site and the responses to Tom's request. I feel the current crop of Avatars are better left to the pages of the Victoria Secret catalog. However. I'm even more disappointed by the lack of control some of our "members" seem to have when it comes to acceptable behavior in public. Foul language is rampant on this site even though it is expressly forbidden in the charter. In my opinion this forum, the 944 pages in particular, lost a great deal today because of the bickering and sniping.
Keith, I couldn't agree more.

My sense of "community" at Rennlist has been seriously shaken. IMHO there was a real mean spiritedness over this and it was not from Tom's end. It's not what I expect on Rennlist. Pretty sad if you ask me. What irritates me now is I think there is still a residual meanness out there right now and it's going on in several threads.

I can only say I'm really glad I've already made good friends with the Greaseslingers and a handful of other people here I haven't actually met face to face. Certainly for the near future I'll be far less likely to go out of my way to help. At least the racing forum is more mature. Like I said, this is really sad. Never had to happen.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:29 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

As was said before, at least by me, wether or not we like or approve or accept the girly avatars has never really been the issue. The issue as I see it, is this. Tom viewed my avatar at work, and made a request to have avatars (if the shoe fits, wear it) toned down. Was is mean spirited? No. Did his tone aggravate some people? Yes. The point remains this, one man made a request, based on his views, mores, and ideals, others chose to be hurt by his request, some saw it for what it was. Did my avatar in particular start this, or finish it? Who knows. I know I can't help but to feel somewhat responsible, and for that I am sorry. Facts still remain. This is America and we can largely do as we please regardless of other people's feelings. Does that make our behavior right, acceptable? Not really. Just because I can, does not mean I should.

As parents we do have the duty to protect our children from things we do not approve of. I personally like to go to SplashTown ( a water park), my kids have fun, I can enjoy some scenery as well as a good time with the family. As for the turmoil created by this, I think we should all just try to get past it, and get back to the businees at hand PORSCHES!
Old 06-19-2004, 03:37 AM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Kevin , that tire offends me...
Old 06-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

kevin, that rim is a rim that I cannot buy, because I cannot afford it. So it makes me unhappy. I think you should change it. Geo, that helmet, I don't like the colors. It makes my eyes hurt. Change it. Keith, that bart simpson animation irritates me, partly from the fact that I don't like the simpsons. Plus bart can't skateboard for his life. Change it. Mike C. I don't like to see 944s in the snow, they're not meant for off road. Change it. Elf, I don't like kids, change that avatar to someone above 10 years old in that 944. Johne, that avatar looks to have some kind of champaigne in it. That's promoting alcoholic beverages. I don't like that, change it. Excellence, that flashin 912 is sending subliminal messages to my brain to purchase a 912. I don't like that. VErrry sneaky... Change it.....lol

As a matter of fact, I think everyone should change their avatars, because I don't like anyone.

Quick Reply: Avatars