Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone Dial Repainting: How Long Before You Can Remount Them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 04:16 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Chris_924s
Tires were never dismounted. Deflated and newspaper tucked under the rim/ masking tape around the valvestems. with some patience - you could never tell the tires never came off.. obviously!
Very clever. I am intrigued by the tire deflation technique. I may have to experiment with my phone dials.

Were the wheels removed from the car?
Old 06-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris what brand paint did you use? I just recently repainted a set of 86' 951 PD's with Wurth, but I do not like the 'new' color silver they decided to replace the original with. The new silver looks to dark and resembles a light grey primer instead of a lustery white silver like the original. The car they will be going on is the 84' so I did not want something that dark on an already dark car. Unfortunately they look lifeless and the paint was expensive.

Take Care!!
Old 06-22-2004, 09:14 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree wholeheartedly about the Wurth paint. The color almost looks like the oxidized silver that I am replacing. The stuff is also very difficult to use and, of course, expensive. I seriously wonder whether it costs more than Duplicolor if you go buy it off the shelf at the equivalent of Pep Boys in Germany. The primer was quite nice, though.

I'd also offer a counterpoint to the often touted method of keeping the tires on the wheels. After priming, I was not happy with the quality of the finish that I was getting around the valve stems. After then considering that if I dismount and remount, I'll be able to rotate the tires and probably get an extra few thousand miles out of them, it seemed to be a no brainer to me to have them removed. If I get an extra 3000 miles out of the rear tires alone, I'll have made up the expenditure on the remount and balance.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by boston951
Very clever. I am intrigued by the tire deflation technique. I may have to experiment with my phone dials.

Were the wheels removed from the car?
I guess you could leave them on if the car is on jack stands, but why?
Old 06-22-2004, 12:15 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "wheels removed" reference was meant to be joking. I was impressed that the wheels came out looking so good and were never dismounted. I should have put a ", LOL" at the end of that statement.

I have read that people have used Rustoleum spray paint to achieve a nice silver color.

Any other recommendations?

Quick Reply: Phone Dial Repainting: How Long Before You Can Remount Them?