Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Avatars and Signatures, which rating is ok by you?
Youth - Y is as far as it should go
12.50%
PG-13 - is OK by me
44.17%
R - Fine we are all adults
33.33%
X - Because I dont care if I offend you
10.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Are Lingerie Models In Avatars Appropriate On Rennlist

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think it's evolution.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evol...efinition.html

I think I'm gonna have a big hot steaming cup of wtf right now.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Tom, maybe you could try explaining to your boss and cleaning lady exactly what those images are and why they are there. It sounds like your boss is really cool and would totally understanding.

I'm sorry if my argueing made you upset or feel alienated form the list. Not my intention and I hope there are no bad feelings, I am simply very much against public censorship and feel that people should censor themselves only, and not others. Thus, the option to turn off avatars/sigs in your profile. If everyone were forced to have car related only avatars, it would be very boring!!

Old 06-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, I don't really know why you are so offended. These people in these avatars have CLOTHES ON!! They're not making obscene gestures or movements, and they hint at nothing. I really think your argument is a little weak and if you keep it up, you're bound to annoy a lot of people.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

G.A.F.L.

Old 06-17-2004, 05:05 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Tom R.
Screw it! Let John D. decide. It's obvious to me that we are too immature to take care of ourselfs.

And I will leave the large pictue of my "new" Porsche in the signature for the kids to drool over until told otherwise.
I'm sure John D has better things to do than deal with a non-issue....Tom R why is it so hard for you to turn off the avatars? Isn't this the reason that John D put this option on the forum anyway? Seriously girls/women in bikinis and the like are hardly offensive to most on this forum and it would be unrealistic to assume otherwise. Leave the girls alone and lose the pictures of the rug-rats.

Old 06-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave the rug-rat. The smile on Tom R's daughter reading Pano warms my heart everytime I see it, and if I have a kid like that it would be my pride and joy to show it off too!!
Old 06-17-2004, 05:20 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Guys,
this is the avatar that popped up on my screen when the cleaning lady was in my cube.

How would you explain that?

Tom have you ever had a Victorias Secret catalog delivered to your home, cause I'm sure your boss has and that avatar you show isn't any worse than a slew of catalogs I receive daily in my mail. I mean go to the womens section in any major department store catalog and you will find five pages of scantily clad women.....Sears-Victorias Secret- Nordstroms-Ross-Target-etc....they all contain pictures similiar to the one you posted....
its really not that sexual in the grand scheme of images that we get bombarded with every day.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by jsonnen
Tom have you ever had a Victorias Secret catalog delivered to your home, cause I'm sure your boss has and that avatar you show isn't any worse than a slew of catalogs I receive daily in my mail. I mean go to the womens section in any major department store catalog and you will find five pages of scantily clad women.....Sears-Victorias Secret- Nordstroms-Ross-Target-etc....they all contain pictures similiar to the one you posted....
its really not that sexual in the grand scheme of images that we get bombarded with every day.
I don't know how many of you work in the evil corporate world but it's easy to get into trouble for the most innocent inane things.
Is it right? Does not matter, it's just the way it is.
The grand scheme of things is irrelevant in the workplace.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:49 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky
I don't know how many of you work in the evil corporate world but it's easy to get into trouble for the most innocent inane things.
Is it right? Does not matter, it's just the way it is.
The grand scheme of things is irrelevant in the workplace.

Agreed so in order to make sure no-one gets in trouble at work anyone who has a concern should turn-off avatars and sigs.......its really alot easier than asking 25,000 people to tone it down don't you think?
Old 06-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Agreed so in order to make sure no-one gets in trouble at work anyone who has a concern should turn-off avatars and sigs.......its really alot easier than asking 25,000 people to tone it down don't you think?
I agree!
Old 06-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

I think therefore I am. Don't you think?

Agree?
Old 06-17-2004, 06:05 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agree?
Sounds like Rene Descartes Studied his teachings in philosophy class.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Agree?
Tom,

I agree that they SHOULD be toned down, but if there is the option to turn them off it solves the problem.
Yes, it's better to have them on to quickly identify people, but hell!
I read the Rennlist email lists for years. Pictures? hah! not even rich text.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:06 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Agree?

Sure and I think that its really easy to turn off avatars don't you?
Old 06-17-2004, 06:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Sure and I think that its really easy to turn off avatars don't you?
Originally posted by John D.
... and do wonder “is my Avatar OK?”. If you have to wonder whether it’s appropriate or not – chances are you already know it’s probably “on the edge of the envelope”. So – change it out. By doing so, you are showing your respect that same community and the folks that frequent these Forums from their place of work and home. And remember – if someone contacts you in private from the Forums, and politely asks you to please review your Avatar – there is probably a good reason they went to that effort to make that request. Respect their situation which would instigate that request. In Tom’s case for example – he really shouldn’t have to be embarrassed if a co-worker happened to glance at his monitor while he was cruising through Rennlist. Leave that embarrassment for cruising other sites.

And – in reality - it really shouldn’t happen when browsing the Rennlist sites and Forums.

Deleted

Last edited by Tom R.; 07-01-2004 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Are Lingerie Models In Avatars Appropriate On Rennlist