Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo head unit and multi-meter question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 11:08 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Stereo head unit and multi-meter question?

If I attatch a DMM to the sub-out RCA plugs, and my receiver has 4 volt pre and sub outs, I should get a 4 volt reading with the engine and radio on, right?? I got ZERO, which is why (I assume) my sub isn't putting out any sound.

Head unit shot? Or is it a fuse inside the unit that controls the pre outs?? It's an Alpine 7894, BTW.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:37 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

With pink noise or a test tone below the internal sub crossover frequency, at max volume, you should get a detectable voltage - make sure you're checking in AC as well as DC, audio signal doesn't "look" like DC. Easiest way would be to plug the HU into a home audio amp/recievers and try powering some speakers as a test.

Sam
Old 06-16-2004, 01:12 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same HU, did you turn the sub on?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:31 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to turn the sub on, then usually theres a sub volume, my 9815 you push the rotary volume and it gives you sub control.

And it will only put out 4 volts at max volume. Thats one of the little things about some Alpine decks that some of the "OMG MUST HAVE 4 15 INCH SUBS WITH 20KWATTS OF AMPS" morons **** and moan about.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:30 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The sub is on...says it right on the display. But I'm getting no sound out of it. I even changed the RCA cables, thinking there was a problem with them. Nope. Still no sound. It worked fine with the Blau, going off the front speaker wires for signal.

Has to be the radio, right? I have the sub volume all the way up, half way up, still no sound...
Old 06-16-2004, 11:56 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audio signal is A/C, not a DC signal.

To test audio voltage, set volt/ohm meter to Volts A/C. The red lead of the meter needs to make contact to the inner center electrode of the rca, the black lead needs to touch the outer shield of the RCA, however touching it to the chassis of the radio should work just fine(the outer shielding of the RCA on most aftermarket decks rests at chassis ground).

The 4 volt rms rating is tested using test tones, usually 1khz, and an osciloscope to detect clipping. Using that same test tone with the sub x-over frequency turned off, you should be able to read a voltage of close to 6volts or so at full volume. If you try reading the voltage playing music, depending on your meter you may not get a reading, as the voltage will fluctuate quickly with the beat of the music. If you have a nice enough meter, you may get readings upwards to 3volts.

Quick Reply: Stereo head unit and multi-meter question?