Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Head Turner

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 02:48 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my hatch doesnt rattle either...knock on wood.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Predator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all you lucky 944 owners whose hatches are still tight......DON'T OPEN IT! Its the leverage when open that will evidentually break the bond between the frame and glass.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

The good thing about the corvette (c5 & c6) is that it's a cheap super car. The bad thing about the corvette is that it's a cheap super car.

emphasis on the cheap. The car doesn't have a brake proportion valve.... "too expensive". Instead GM uses 'TINY' rear brakes, that cook themselves on the track (hence the z06 rear ducts). That's just one example.

GM actually turns a profit on the vette. The more people that buy it, the cheaper they're gonna put it together. (and alot of people buy them )

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a fun toy to play around with in that area around the middle of your life .

btw, every fbody and c5 c6 i've been in rattles tom R, especially F-bodies. I'm sure it has something to do with the expansion rate of all the plastic in the HUMONGEOUS dash board.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Predator
For all you lucky 944 owners whose hatches are still tight......DON'T OPEN IT! Its the leverage when open that will evidentually break the bond between the frame and glass.
Interesting recommendation.

What is your recommendation to 944 owners that still have a decent rubber centered clutch hub: Don't drive the car?!?

Regarding the hatch: as long as you use BOTH hands to close it, with your hands placed above the locking pins, your hatch will last longer. (IE: don't twist the hatch by closing it on one side with one hand)

-Z.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Predator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Careful opening and closing will extend the life of the rear hatch. Also, make sure you're pointed into the wind. A quick gust at the wrong time will fracture that bond. Oh, rubber clutches, rubber duckies, rubber necks, rubber bands: pick one! The rest are useless.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why do all the corvettes that you guys never rode in squeak and rattle, but my fourth generation Camaro Z28 with with a solid axle, the super stiff level 2 SS suspension, and super stiff revalved for the track (not drag strip) as in too stiff for the street Bilsteins that I drive on New York City streets on a regular basis not squeak or rattle at all?
Probably because rust and corrosion don't make noise.

Sorry, but I've owned both a Camaro and a Firebird at different points in my life - biggest pieces of **** I've ever worked on / come across. The suceptability to rust / rot / corrosion is enough to swear me off of American cars for the rest of my days on this earth - even 'vettes.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My best friends C4 had 100 times more rattles than my 944, visibility $ucked in ALL directions and in spite of the torque, the car was not as enjoyable to drive. Year for year, I'll take an NA over ANYTHING GM produced.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by Dave
My best friends C4 had 100 times more rattles than my 944, visibility $ucked in ALL directions and in spite of the torque, the car was not as enjoyable to drive. Year for year, I'll take an NA over ANYTHING GM produced.
guess that means we have to keep andy away from a C4 unless he gets a package deal with and the room with the rubber walls is thrown in too.

when do you start at the new place? congrats.

Quick Reply: Corvette Head Turner