Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I switch to synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
994T4ME - I would do the following;

Drain and refill with Castrol RX Super 15w-40 a high quality "mixed fleet" (HDEO) oil and run this for about 2000miles. This will gently clean your engine internally and prepare for a "known" synthetic. This Group 2 lubricant is well respected and a first class product for use in turbo charged engines

Drain and refill with Mobil 1 SUV 5w-40 or Delvac 1 5w-40 "mixed fleet" HDEO (these oils are one in the same). This viscosity is what is recommended for your car for all year use, it meets Porsche's oil specifications and is excellent for long life (Porsche receommended drain periods) in turbo charged engines. This oil is a premium Group 5 lubricant

ALL Mobil 1 products are full synthetic Group 4 or 5 lubricants - these are "chemistry" oils.

Some Castrol "synthetics" are Group 3 - actually the Group of hydrocracked semi-synthetics and other "synthetics"

Many Amsoil products are not tested by either API or ACEA. Amsoil say that they "meet" the standards. Other Amsoil products may state that they "meet" Porsche, BMW, VW, MB standards but most of these are NOT "Approved" which is as required by the Manufacturer for warranty purposes. Amsoil do make some good products

Regards

Quick Reply: should I switch to synthetic?