Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a car other than the 944! Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need a car other than the 944! Suggestions?

Originally posted by Dave
I also am thinking in 2 different catagories, the first being basic econobox commuter that gets great mileage and does little else, the second option is something that would be useful for other things, home depot runs etc...
Subaru Impreza Wagon will do it all. And give you a great winter car. If you can get over the two-tone of most of them (Outback Sport models), they're great little cars.

If you're worried about something that small, then go for the Forester. ...or even the Legacy wagon (base Outback).

There are a number of these hauling Subarus in a wide range of prices (used), so I imagine you'd be able to find just about anything to suit your needs.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 139 Posts

Dave:
Mid 90s Honda Accord or Civic. My non-carguy buddy from High School commutes about 65 miles a day in his (a 1997 Accord LX 4cyl). He's got about 90K miles on it (he used to have a short commute). He was bragging the other day that he's basically done oil changes, a few tune ups, a set of tires a year ago, and a timing belt. No other maintenance and no unscheduled trips to the mechanic.

One of my other friends has a 95 Civic SI that he has done everything possible in an attempt to kill it. It's still running at over 160K miles. It's been his beater since last fall when he bought a Toureg.

(No affiliation with Honda whatsoever)

Just read Dave's no Hondas comment, so my second choice would be an MB 190E 2.3. My mother has a 92 that has just over 230K miles (she won't get rid of it). All the power stuff still works, even the crappy Becker radio. The car still feels tight. The cat got a little clogged to the mechanic cut it off, and stuck in a peice of straight pipe. The car still passes emissions and now has a better sound.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:44 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Run far away from any neon. They are disposable cars. Even the "race version", the ACR, was a total POS. Mine started falling apart basically at one mile past the 36K warranty point.

Consider a smaller SUV like a Nissan Pathfinder or Isuzu Trooper. They get good gas mileage, and are great for hauling house and car stuff. Plus they run forever..............
Old 06-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Choice one: any Volkswagon Jetta TDI Diesel. 49mpg and a very solid engine. If you do a lot of short drives under 3 miles, a diesel wouldn't warm up enough and might be unhappy.

Choice two: any beater Honda. My 87 Prelude had 296,000 miles on it and I wish I hadn't sold it. Get a beater honda where the engine is good (i.e. no blow by, etc), change all fluids and belts immediately, then you're good for quite a while.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave:
As you know, we just bought a VW New Beetle Turbo for my wife. Granted, it's only been 1 week, but it's a great little car. The 1.8T motor is well developed used in many cars across the VW-Audi range, so I am confident it will last a good long time. (Note: Jon's friend, Dan is planning on bringing his 2003 Anniversay edition GTI to the autocross tomorrow - check it out - it is a sweet ride!)

Now a new Beetle is most likely too cute for you. But, as stated above, how about a Jetta, or even a used GTI?

Regarding the Ranger - I know that fellow NNJR Rennlister Ken started towing with his Mazda 'Ranger' (B2000?) this year. Frankly, such a car is too small to tow with. Sure, it will get you and your racecar to the track, but it is NOT the optimal solution. You need something with a bigger wheelbase, bigger engine, bigger towing capacity in order to do it right. Otherwise, the highway ride can be quite scary - with a truck like the Ranger, you don't have the torque to get things back in order if things get a little funny. IE: "The wail wagging the dog" happens.

Another car I too suggest would be a Subaru. My Legacy has been bulletproof. Strong car, no hassles, and AWD for some fun in the snow!
The Imprezza 2.5 RS is a smaller but sportier Subbie. And if you get the wagon in either variant (Legacy or Imprezza) you have a lot more packing space for those Home Depot runs!

My wife's Subaru SVX is for sale, as you know - it needs front rotors, and the new (year old) steering rack is having some problems. But if you're interested, lemme know. (But I'd rather not sell it to a friend - that's just a policy of my own!)

I think you should NOT get a tow vehicle just yet - like you said, you need to build up your 'Porsche fund' before venturing off into the world of tow vehicles and trailers. Plus if you get a big truck now (I'd recommend nothing smaller in size than an F250 truck or E250 van) you will get slammed big time at the gas pump, even if they go down to the promised $1.80 a gallon later this summer.

And congrats on finding a job! Will we get the details at Saturday's autocross???

-Z-man.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ummmm. . . .

911?
Old 06-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Ummmm. . . .

911?
Well, I was thinking of trying to find a VW bug, that's almost the same thing
Z, You don't have to sell me on VW, I've had 3, Maria's had 2, my parents had 2, etc. A VW is the front runner right now, but I'm open to other suggestions.
Remind me to explain why using torque to stabilize a trailer that isn't set up right is the same as downshifting to slow the car this weekend . You forget that I used to tow things for a living!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:10 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Check out these Jettas in your area from Autotrader.

Get a nice clean GLS with the VR6. A little motor AND great gas milage.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Dave
Well, I was thinking of trying to find a VW bug, that's almost the same thing
Z, You don't have to sell me on VW, I've had 3, Maria's had 2, my parents had 2, etc. A VW is the front runner right now, but I'm open to other suggestions.
Yes, I know your background with VW's, including your Shirocco. (right?)
Man who looks for car
Remind me to explain why using torque to stabilize a trailer that isn't set up right is the same as downshifting to slow the car this weekend . You forget that I used to tow things for a living!
Yeah, but I bet you never towed with anything less than a 350!

-Z.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:45 AM
RMills944
Drifting

A Ranger is a good truck with good gas mileage. I'd also consider a Jeep Liberty, but it's down to 17MGP if you do that. I had a fully loaded one, and got rid of it and miss it like crazy. I have a new Dodge Neon now, and it's a poorly mad POS. It's got 450 miles and sounds like there's a damn gerbil in the engine!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Dave
Race Car

The Sciroccos were an '80 and a '84.5, I towed a small boat with the '84.5. Towing with a CJ-7 is much more fun, if you can tow with one of those you can tow with anything.
Re; wheelbase. Long is much easier to tow with for a novice but the manuverability is crap. Short is much better if you're good enough, picture an 18 wheeler When I worked at the marina, most of the tow vehicle were short wheelbase pickups. I know a Ranger (or similar) would be the minimum for towing a car trailer but it would also be as large as I'd want to go for what might turn out to be an 80 mile (round trip) commute, and towing would be a once in a while thing, not the primary use. I figure there are worse things to tow a 5000 lb trailer with.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Dave
Race Car

A Liberty would be great Ryan, but there aren't any that are down to my price range yet.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:01 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Here's another idea: a 1987-mid 90s buick lesabre/park avenue or oldsmobile 88/98. There are tons of these cars around, many owned by older folks with low miles that have been well maintained. They were near the top of the JD Power rankings in their day (the only car from the general that was), have the nearly indestructable and dirt cheap 3.8 liter v6, are relatively safe, are presentable, are quiet, are simple to work on, and get over 25mpg. Parts are so cheap and freely available that they flow like water.

My 90 year old grandfather has a cherry 1993 Olds 98 with about 30k miles on it. It's dealer maintained, and god only knows how much unnecessary crap they've talked him into over the years. Someday, when the California DMV stops renewing his license through the mail (hasn't happened yet), I'm going to swoop on it.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Alex Cook
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying on the VW theme, the early 90s Audi 80s are pretty much bulletproof.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Dave
Race Car

AARRRRGGGH!!!
Just got off the phone with my insurance people, it turns out they give a discount when you've had your vehicle with them for a 3 years so adding another car would be at a much higher rate than the current 2 vehicles (funny, I don't remember the rate dropping in the last few years as the 944 and chrysler hit the three year mark). Liability coverage alone would be $550-600 per 6 mos! Not commuting in the 944 would only drop the cost of it's coverage $44 per 6 mos! She didn't sound happy when I mentioned that "shopping around might be in order," we have both cars, the house, the boat, a couple single item policies and an umbrella policy with them.

Quick Reply: Need a car other than the 944! Suggestions?