Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 944 Hybrids!!

Old 06-14-2004, 09:29 AM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
Give me good ol' American common sense and ingenunity anytime over the European marketeers.

Someone has never:
Changed 7/8 spark plugs on a Camaro
Changed a water pump on a quad-4
Changed the channel gasket on a 3.4L Venture (or any other car using that motor as the gasket lasts about 15 mins)
Changed a PLASTIC intake on a Ford (usually accompanied with new heads)

The list could go on for pages. In short ALL automotive engineers are dumb as a box of rocks and it is clear that they NEVER will have to work on their creations. If they did the bolts below the headers would not be covered by a heat sheild that requires midget hands and more universals than one can count.
Amen
Not to mention the fact that to improve the balance on the c5 corvette, guess where the trans and the clutch is? Yep trans is in the back and the clutch is on the engine in the front.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Those of you pointing out the C5 "copying" the 944 in putting the tranny in the back, look at a late-50s Dodge. Porsche DEFINITELY wasn't first.

Sam
Old 06-14-2004, 01:16 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

no, Just in reference to the comment of how hard some things are, and although it makes things difficult some benefits (balance) still out weigh the hassles (changing a clutch). By the way, pontiac also had a front engine rear transaxle car in the early 60"s. the lemans. Saw a convertible with a 4cyl engine front and a powerglide (2spd auto) mounted in the rear with independant rear suspension.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:26 PM
ftanguay
Racer

Joe Anstett: Tanks for the explain to me your point of view. But I have never said the corvett is a bad car. It's a great and true sport car (so few of them are now). But before the C5, corvette handle pretty bad. I just saw few thing that GM did to there sports car and I'm pretty impress. Especialy with the aluminium engine in the trans am. The weight distrbution is good so to the total weight and the power. Dont get me wrong, I would really like to own an old musle car like mustang GT, Stingray corvette or a CUDA. But it'll have to be ALL factory. But that's my own way to think.

It's true I'm not totally aware of technicality of american or japanease car... They are not just my cup of tee (especially the Jap ones... God I hate those little arrogant tiny ... with there civic!). As you already knew I must have German blood...

PS: I knew the vette never had turbo from factory (I'm not that ignorant in GM car) I was talking in general not just the vette.

Sorry Devia to alter your tread like that.
Who know's maybe in a gattering some of you are gonna take me for a spin in those hybrid... only then I will do a jugment.

Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 PM
ftanguay
Racer

oups! forget the spelling button. I just hope there are no English teacher here!
Old 06-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I remember some 60s Buick convertibles came with all aluminum v8s including the block....
Old 06-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Predator
Pro

Pontiac was the first, modern day manufacturer to design a rear tranny car. It was early 60's LeMans with a 4 banger and 4-speed manual or 2 speed auto. It was a real POS. My family had one and the tranny was always giving my Dad trouble. He finally traded it on a new '66 GTO.... and I was hooked for life!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:39 AM
jd944
Instructor

That aluminum V8 you remember was the 215 cubic inch that came in a Buick version and an Oldsmobile version. The Buick "nail head" version went on to become the engine that is now used in Land Rovers. They have stroked it a couple of times but it's virtually the same motor.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:15 PM
adie
Pro

And ALL hail the Rover, it's much lighter than the Porsche engine to the tune of 80lbs or 3/4 inch or increased ground clearance on the front suspension (and looks quite stupid aswell). I've been doing these conversions for years now and it's mu fav engine, however I have just got a 32v northstar engine so I may be converted, porschealliac here I come, lets face it, it's no worse than changing the wheels, or turbo, or ignition system, and hell, it's not as if there worth a lot either, I paid $1800 CAD for mine and it has been flawless, the one before cost £800 and that has served for 5 years now, the 951 I kept standard and found it to be wanting in EVERY respect so i sold it for the cost of it's parts. Tonly down side is that it's German, however so is Trabant, and yes i had one of those as well, I stuck an 8 in there as well.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys also gave to separate and distinguish the differences when you say "Japanese car". There's a world of difference between how Toyota packages their car vs. Honda. Hondas are infinitesimally engineered and FEA'ed to the max for the lightest weight and highest performance possible. Where you find an 8mm engine stud in a Honda, you'll find a 12mm bomb-proof monster in a Toyota.

Clearance and acess tends to be better in the Toyota as well. I have never head to use a rachet on a bolt while having to hold the backside nut with a box/open-end wrench, never! The bolts also have built-in washers that spin, so you can install them with deep-drive sockets while aimed upwards (think of how fast you can install those bellypans).

Double wrench cases, like adjustable rods like those used on our power-steeing and air-con pumps have also shown much better engineering. They thought about the home mechanic with only a single set of tools. So you'll find a 13mm locknut with a 14mm flat on the rod. Rather than the stupid double 13mm on the power-steering pumpe or the double 17mm needed on the air-con. Hans & Franz engineers strikes again, DOH!!! or more like duhh... I betcha they were blond!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mazda did the same thing, one set of tools. That said do a starter on a 90ish Supra Turbo and you will know that even Toyota screws it up occasionally.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:05 PM
pflyers
Instructor

I wish I had the time and patience to build an lt1 944!

having owned 2 V8 powered 240z's, 3 buick grand nationals and currently 2nd 951 I can say from experience there is nothing even remotely close to a small sports car with V8 torque for street driving, nothing!

My first one looked totally trashed, it had a th350 with a 355 in it. I sold it to the first buyer that came. when I took him for a "test ride" I rolled slowly in front of my house, floored it which slammed you hard back in your seat, slammed the shifter into 2nd, the car went sideways, I kept my foot floored to pull it back straight, basically scared the living crap out of the guy and he bought it without even driving it. I could litterally make the car pop 90 degrees by blipping the throttle and tugging on the steering wheel waiting to go into a driveway.

Awsome! I'm sure 944 V8's are just as cool.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Bob Ward
Racer

Default RE pflyers

Hey pflyers.

How did you like the Buick GN's??

Great in a straight line!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Those of you pointing out the C5 "copying" the 944 in putting the tranny in the back, look at a late-50s Dodge. Porsche DEFINITELY wasn't first.

Sam

Sam you are a knowledgeble guy and I respect your oppinion but I have to point out that Porsche was the first..
Dr Ferdinant Porsche was commisined by hitler to build the volkswagen..real engine and trans ..I know but the concept of moving weight to the rear drive wheels was started there.. but thank you ..I nevewr knew dodge did that!!!
PS..I still think insted of a LT1..why not 951!!!! I might be wrong but I have never seen a american engined 944 at the track...and it seems like that 951's do better there too than 928's wich are V8.....
Old 06-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

PS..one american ca I will own again ..the Grand National..loved it but love this one more..however...I will have the GN again.......11 seconds in street trim....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche 944 Hybrids!!