Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waaaaa.. I wanna do a DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Big E
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waaaaa.. I wanna do a DE

According to the FAQ for the Potomac PCA region, in order to participate in one of their DE's, you have to either a) completed their High Performance Driving Clinic, b) completed their Autocross school, or c) completed 3 autocrosses. I really have no problem with those requirements, the HPDC looks like an ideal intro and makes perfect sense. Problem is, the autocross school is only offered once a year, in March I think, and the HPDC twice a year, in April and October. Back in April, I was still working on some maintenance stuff so that I'd feel comfortable taking the car to the track/autocross and not worrying about it blowing up - fuel lines, belts and rollers, cam chain tensioner pad, etc. Now, it's finally ready to go, and I'm hosed for the entire season??

Do all the regions have these policies? Does another region do a HPDC before October?

Help!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:31 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, that's region specific. Just sign up with someone else.

Check Dale's track schedule for dates.

Have fun.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Deetz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Coco's site is real nice too.

http://www.trackschedule.com/sched.html

Some/most tracks also have their own schools, and most have "lapping days"
that are open to anyone. And although I don't recommend this being your
first option to visit a track, it's not like I haven't seen it before...

Deetz.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is that you can attend 3 autocrosses with another club - I am sure that would count towards your 'credits.'

Personally, I think the Potomac PCA region has the right idea with their requirements. So may argue that autocrossing and Driver's Ed programs are vastly different, but autocross does teach you good car control skills. Skills you NEED on the 'big track.' All too often I will hear instructors stating that they can immediately tell if their student has attended autocrosses or not, and that typically, students with autocross background tend to learn quicker on the track.

Just my $0.42,
-Z-man.

PS: It's all about patience! Off the track and on it.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's another HPDC in October at Summit Point on Oct. 17th run by PCA zone 2. See the Potomac website for details.

Or, sign up of for another DE with another group. The Schattenbaum and Riesentoter regions are having DE's at Summit over the week of July 4th. Also, there's a NASA event on July 10th/11th that is combined with lots a number of their race groups (including 944Cup!) that run the same day. A little more expensive and very few porsches, but it has the advantage of NASA bikini girls and pit girls distributing candy - also should be some wet t-shirt contests as it is also Hyperfest with all the pimped out integras and WRX's at the same time ;-)
Old 06-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Another possible option is to sign up with another PCA region
Old 06-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

i dont know if they do anything out there, but there is speedventures. tracquest has some out of california events, i dunno about around you, but they are expensive. 650 bucks or so. I've done a tracquest event, i didnt pay that, for reasons to remain ungiven for right now, but it was amazing. it was 2 whole days at buttonwillow, with catered gourmet food, and almost a 1 to 1 ration of yellow group (new guys) and instructors. after, there is a gourmet dinner youd expect for paying so much. great event, wish i were a rich porsche owner this is geared to!
~Eyal
Old 06-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Could be worse... your car could be in pieces all over the garage with no end in sight...
Old 06-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Big E
Racer

Originally posted by Wachuko
Could be worse... your car could be in pieces all over the garage with no end in sight...
Indeed. That would be ... last year

I did do a little more looking and see there are some other options, so I'm less pissed now. I'm not really complaining about requiring the HPDC or auto-x school, only the limited offerings of them.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Waaaaa.. I wanna do a DE