Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nor Cal - Graffiti Night Get together

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:53 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nor Cal - Graffiti Night Get together

We're doing it again, Graffiti 2004 BBQ! We had fun the last time, so why not!

George Lucas started it all back in the early 60s when he went to Downey HS in Modesto, Ca. That evolved into the all time hot rod movie classic American Graffiti. We younger guys came in about 10 years later and started "Graffiti Nite, After School Cruse" some 30 years ago. Yes, I was at the very first Graffiti Night. I remember passing out flyers to get the word out. It falls around the first Saturday after school was out. Hot Rods and people everywhere. I'll never forget standing on the top of one of the stores on McHenry Ave looking for miles in both directions at the thousands of people and hot cars. Quite the memory. Things are calmer these days. It's a controlled parade cruse on Saturday morning from 9-11am. then the car show at the Modesto Junior College. 750 vehicles! We have a BBQ at our house beginning around 5pm. See the schedule of events below.

Modesto Graffiti Weekend Schedule
< http://www.northmodestokiwanis.org/?page=graffiti_04 >

FRIDAY 6-18-03 (if you're around, we'll be there!)
Rock and Rods
5:00-10pm Downtown Modesto J street

SAT 6-19-03
9am-11am Car Parade (closed street cruise, IE: open headers!) 10th street and more.
9am -5pm Car Show
5pm-whenever BBQ at Dalen’s(Details below)
8ish head out and look for cruisers. (they invade the town) Since it lasts until Sunday, they don't all head for home Sat night. Usually something is going on downtown.
They also show cars on Sunday, but we’re talking about Saturday.

There is some HOT HP floating around Motown this time of year. Makes driving through town very interesting at times. Here are some photos from last year.

BBQ Details
We'll host the BBQ at hour house from 5pm-whenever on Sat 6-19-03.
We’ll have burgers, punch and some kind of desert (perishable that others couldn't bring since they'll be in the car all day). Attendees can bring something to eat and drink if they want something special. (I'm not opposed to beer and wine, but remember there is driving later...)

I'll see if we can get my B.I.L. to bring his 38 Buick recently restored. or his 56 Cheby Daily Driver. But, there will be plenty car talk going around and even a few Porsches to gaze upon after looking at American cars all day. Then after we get tired of each other’s stories, we can hit the road and see what’s cooking on McHenry!
Schedule subject to change (because I said so..)

Disclaimer: It’s illegal to ‘cruise’ McHenry Ave. A cruise is defined as more than one trip up and back on the main drag. (Or however they decide to define it for that night)

RSVP to Dan Dalen dan10101@pacbell.net and I’ll send you instructions for finding us and the other activities.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah! Dang, I'll be out of town that day, so I can't make it, maybe next time
Old 06-08-2004, 11:36 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Too bad, it's a great weekend to be a car 'person'.

Last edited by DanD; 06-09-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:09 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Opps, well, now it's a bump...
Old 06-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's do it!!
Old 06-09-2004, 10:57 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool, We have a few coming. Anything better than me sitting around talking to myself is a party!

Darius, let me know how much you need for the block. I have a line on pistons, so I'd like to snag them before they get away.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-11-2004, 03:11 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well plans changed slightly. I'm no longer a spectator. My brother-in-law has kindly taken one of his hot rods out of town and left his 56 Chevy all alone. Plus he's already paid for the entry. So it looks like we'll be driving his 56 in to the show on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. I'll get a taste of how the other car clubs do things.

We'll still have the BBQ at our house at 5 and have several people that have spoken up. We'll have the 56 there as the guest of honor.

Here is his 56.

Here is a very All Business Chevy II. Reminded me of the days of un-corked headers Must have had at least 12" wide slicks on the back.

Quick Reply: Nor Cal - Graffiti Night Get together