Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My back is against the wall - any help in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$350 TO REPLACE A SHOCK, $1100 TO REPLACE MOTOR MOUNTS~~~

this just makes me want to puike

granted parts for these cars are a little more expensive than most but highway robbery seems to be the norm...

I'll be damned if I ever pay anyone $80 an hour to work on anything. Hell I may be an idiot when it comes to porsches (allready made that apparent by disconnecting the alarm module and replacing the alternator)

Still though, paying outrageous prices for labor is crazy~~~

Granted I'm an airplane mechanic and I have a I can figure it out and fix it whatever it is mindset but still.

There is a difference between paying someone a reasonable amount for work performed and $1100 for new motor mounts.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:28 PM
sd944s
Intermediate

URIN 2ND: Thanks for the input!

Yeah, that's what I learned as I read through some earlier threads - that bad shocks shouldn't really make the car bottom out. I think I'm in one of the worst situations possible: rather short on time and a problem that _really_ needs to be addressed before I go.

The sag is apparent (and camber - like the wheel is tilting "top-in") when looking at the rear of the car and when I measure the gap from the tire to the edge of the fender, the right side gap is 3/4" bigger than the left.

Ok, so I should focus my energy on springs? ride height? torsion bars? Arrgh!

Devia: Thanks for the moral support! Yes, I am not too excited about the weather I'll be moving into but I have a job offer at a company that I'm really looking forward to working with, so I really can't complain...I'll actually be just off the Sheridan stop on the red line near Wrigley. I _am_ dreading the effect of the salt and sand you mentioned.

Shutemup: Yeah, after some research, I realized the shop's quote was awful. Especially when the general consensus is that the shock isn't even the problem!!

Oh boy, looks like I'm going to have to really scramble to take care of this. Tick, tock, tick, tock.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:05 AM
rihaa
Racer

It may just be repeating what has already been said, but I doubt it is the shock. I have a right rear that is sitting about an inch lower than the driver side. I need to get under there and see what I can do with the eccentric bolt, but I replaced the shocks (worn badly at all 4 corners) and there was no difference. I am not getting the rubbing problem though, only the sag on one side.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:38 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me add to this conversation, that, when these cars were manufactured, the left side is always a little "off" (narrower) compared to the right side. Thus, when going to 17X9's, it is normal to only see rub on that side. Been there, done that. Mine rubbed with brand new Koni's. I am willing to bet $$ that a new shock won't fix the issue. Let us know who is correct here.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:53 PM
sd944s
Intermediate

Hello all,

Thanks for all the continued input. As a matter of fact, I'm off to Mind Over Motorsports (www.mindovermotorsports.com) in about five minutes to see if they can fit me in...I've seen some positive opinions about those guys so I'll see if it works out! If not, well....the scramble continues.

I'll let you all know what happens next!

-William
Old 06-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

take the 17" wheels off, put the 15"s back on and ship the 17s to chicago.

you will have no problems. buying two inexpensive 15" tires and shipping the 17"s will be less than you are about to spend. you need to get the fender lip rolled or ground off.

Tifo was there, I was there, and a bunch of others were there. it is not the shock.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:03 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

If you are driving through KC on the way to Chicago, feel free to drop me a line or give me a call at 785-865-3435, if you have time for dinner/beer/need help onthe road/whatnot.

Good luck!

Regards,
Old 06-10-2004, 08:23 PM
sd944s
Intermediate

Thanks, tifosiman - the shocks are not likely my problem, I agree. Good to hear from people with experience w/ the same size tire.

Tom R. - I would go with 15s if I had the originals from the P.O. or had time to find some and then ship my 17s out. Tim, at Mind Over Motorsports, agreed with nearly everyone else here. Seem to be more of an alignment problem more than anything and rolling the fender may get me by until I can get to Chicago and go with new shocks, tires, and alignment all the way around.

I want to say that Tim (at M.O.M.) was incredibly approchable and did not pressure me either way on doing more work than necessary to get me out to Chicago. He said that he would be sure to fit me into his schedule either tomorrow morning or Monday to roll the fender - approx. $80.00 charge as he and three other guys from M.O.M. would push the car slowly back and forth with different diameter bats. Tim also said that I could probably do it myself and save the money but I don't have many bats lying around in my small apartment

Although no work has been done on it yet, M.O.M. and La Jolla Imports are like night and day as far as how they evaluated my situation. Anyone down here want to roll the fender with me? I know, I know, it's pretty short notice so I'll probably head to M.O.M. tomorrow morning.

sh944 - thanks for the invite! I actually _will_ be taking the southern route this time, stopping in Oklahoma City and St. Louis on my way. I'll let you know if I'm going to take you up on your offer!

Best,

-William
Old 06-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

OK, who in the san diego area has a set of wheels/tires for you.

I ended up grinding the lip on my first S2. no matter how i rolled, it still rubbed the edge of the tire. new koni yellows set in the middle didnt do anything.

if they can roll it for you for $80 do it. hopefully that will be the last of the rubbing.

maybe post a new thread for wheels. ya never know.

Quick Reply: My back is against the wall - any help in SoCal?