Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightening Center A/C Vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 12:54 PM
jamiejim
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tightening Center A/C Vents

Anyone know how to tighten the center A/C vents on an early 944, above the console, so they don't flop down? I could probably figure it out if I pulled them off, but I'm afraid the plastic might be brittle and I will break something. And I want to do it right, not stick a matchbook under the vent. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:09 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump
Old 06-11-2004, 01:32 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

If your refering to the duct shut off flapper, I don't think there is an adjustment. If that is flopping down, I think you'll need to replace the entire double vent assembly, as the plastic arm is most likely broken.

If your refering to the inner directional part of this double vent, there is a "wavy spring washer" installed on the pivot points that meet in the middle of the assembly. Maybe the washers have just lost their spring action and/or have collapsed, or they may have worn enough of the plastic away in that contact area to keep from holding the vent snug enough. I have removed these vents by using a thin flat bladed tool (or knife). Start by closing the shutoff valve for these vents, and on the outside end of one of these vents, carefully pry the pivot shaft of that vent, out of the hole it sits in, noting that there is, or should be a "wavy washer" on the other pivot shaft point (you don't want to lose it down the duct), and you will also see a second, smaller tit/shaft sticking out of the same side, so when removing this vent, don't try to rotate it any more than this other shaft will allow (it will be evident once ya see it real good). If you need another wavy washer, I'm pretty sure you can get these at some of the local hardware stores that have the specialty fastener drawers available.

If ya need some more confusing info........I can supply a pic or two to try and muddle the issue some more...... HTH
Old 06-11-2004, 09:08 PM
jamiejim
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken -
I'm referring to the vent itself (there are two), it flops down and points at the floor. I will try to pry the vent assembly off and see if it is the spring washer you are referring to. I was just leery doing this, because whenever I pry on 20 year old plastic, something breaks and I end up with a bigger project than before I started. Thanks for the help.
Jim
Old 06-11-2004, 09:22 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thhis is amazing. I just posted something similar and just came in from fixing mine. The vents are in a frame. each individual vent comes out. The fins are connected to the "wavy sprint washer" that was mentionied in the reply above. The vent is in the frame pretty tight. There is also a little "nipple" on one side that fits in a groove. I can take a picture if you need to see it. Check to see if yours is there.

My fins were all apart and out of the wavy spring washer. Took about 30 seconds to fix.

Good luck
Old 06-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan, glad to hear ya got it taken care of! Its not anywhere near as hard as one might think, once ya actually start to do it.

If you look closely, you should be able to see the wavy washer on the one side of each vent before you even remove the vent.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:01 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Granite 944
Dan, glad to hear ya got it taken care of! Its not anywhere near as hard as one might think, once ya actually start to do it.

If you look closely, you should be able to see the wavy washer on the one side of each vent before you even remove the vent.
Saw the washer and how OFF it was. I was initially trying to take out the whole assemply and not just the specific vent. Now feeling easiest thing I ever did.. heh heh
Old 06-14-2004, 11:56 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The ones in my 84 flop down in the heat. Once the cool air starts to flow through them the can be a asjusted. So for the first 3 min of he drive home the air blows at my shifter hand. After that they stay.

Quick Reply: Tightening Center A/C Vents