Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last Shot on Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 02:55 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damian, damn it! Don't make a public posting about the wiring, relays, etc. I sold you! That is a secret and I don't want to get into the parts business on these hard to get items. My anger is a joke, don't take it wrong, but I really don't want to be selling these parts other than as a favor to people that have purchased something else. The paper work and questions are just too much of a pain in the butt.

Yes, the 1157 is for your N/A front marker/blinker. I'll see what is up when I order and the total demand is now 6 bulbs. I know I have 2 of those amber side marker bulbs (5 watt) in my bulb box. You can get them but shipping on those alone would be a killer per bulb. I'll put your name on them and if you end up getting something else then we can put them in the same box.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:01 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect...! Thanks.....Edit made...

DAmian
Old 06-09-2004, 03:27 AM
glen2002
Racer

Hi Dan, wanted to say thank you for the 35watt halogens I got from you last time, work great as reverse lights and underhood. My question is are they any good as brake lights or do they have the wrong characteristics for brake lights? If they are good I will get half a dozen as they work great for everything else.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:48 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Hi Glen, has the Southern Cross moved any? I loved watching that area of the sky with some good Swarovski Binoculars that I got for hunting in Alaska. Lay back on the dive boat top deck at night and wander through the Universe.

Yikes! I was looking for the correct spelling on Swarovski and found these are now worth $1600 USD! :yikes: I better keep good care of them.

To your question, the 35 halogens will work great in the main brakes. I would do it. They light up as quick as an incandescent and the only reasonable way to make things light up by a few micro seconds sooner is to use LEDs. And they won't be as bright. And cost quite a bit by the time you are done.

Did you change out the wiring from the OZ market light deal to the 2 inboard double brake lights? I know we talked about this and I sent you sockets but I can't remember what you ended up doing. I think you posted some pictures but John D. purged them on storage cleanup.

Anyway, I can get some more of the 35 watt halogens for the moment. Think there are 200 left in North America. Just let me know if you only want 6 or if some other OZ guys want them also. These bulbs weigh in at about nothing, its the box and packing material that adds the weight. So 20 down to you should be fairly cheap on the shipping.

Just let me know in the next day.

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-09-2004, 05:11 AM
glen2002
Racer

Dan, with $1600US binoculars you can probably see Sydney from Minneapolis!! Have been to the Swarovski factory but all they had was crystal ornaments which don't really float my boat. Now laying around on boats or diving, that is a lot more fun. Southern Cross still visible, I think the last 50 of my girlfriends have been told the story, usually while laying topside on a yacht, how the Southern Cross points north and you can navigate by it (only in the southern hemisphere, I believe). Seems to reassure them they will make it home in the morning.

Took your suggestion on the brake lights and by comparison it now looks like a christmas tree. I will take ten of the bulbs and if anyone else in OZ wants them they can post here and I will gladly onforward them to save postage.

Thanks again
Old 06-09-2004, 05:46 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ok, Glen, I will send you a 10 pack If anyone else in OZ wants them they have 24 hours to say so.

Yeah, in my younger days I built a 40 foot sailboat and sailed around quite a bit of the world. The first time you see the cross sort of takes your breath away if you are on the water at sea. And you can see it pretty good from about 10 degrees north of equator. There is a reason songs mention the Southern Cross.

Anyway, I have you down for 10 and will calc the shipping and let you know.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:38 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

x944x, I sent you an e-mail last night on what you should get. Let me know if you agree by tonight as I'm going to put the bulb order in in the morning of the 10th, tomorrow.

Neon Driver, I have the 100 watt H3s on hand. Philips made them so they are the best in the world. Just tell me how many you want. They will be $7 each plus whatever for shipping and packing material. My guess would be about $4 on the shipping if you get 4 of the bulbs.

Schlicten, let me know if you want to do anything. I'll likely have some 100 watt H3s on hand for you.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:03 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Alright I will take 2 of those bulbs. Can I pay you through paypal? If so just put up your paypal name or send me a invoice at billmild@hotmail.com.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Dan, these hologens you speak of for the brake lights, these are different then what I normally would buy from say AutoZone....? If they are then put me down for 2 of those then as well...

Thank's
DAmian
Old 06-09-2004, 03:43 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Damian, oh yeah, these are different than your normal bulbs that are used for brake lights. They are halogens with a base that fits the normal socket for the incandescent bulb. They put out over twice the light of the 21 watt 1156. You can't find these in a retail store like PepBoys or AutoZone. These are what the cops and emergency vehicles use on the light bars and spinning flashers. Limited distribution is probably one of the reasons they cost $6.75 each.

You should probably get 5 of them, that is the standard package. 2 for reverse light, 2 for main brake and one for underhood. Now we have enough bulbs involved that your 2 amber 5 watters can just hang along on the shipping.

Let me know if you want to go with 5 of the 35 watt halogens as I'm doing the final order cut tomorrow morning.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:38 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Scott and Damian, Forget the SilverStar #1157 from me. Sylvania and parent Osram are really keeping the choke hold on them. We would need to order a couple thousand bulbs to even get a little break on price. And there isn't really anything else that works right in the silver finish that lights up amber. My main bulb supplier has tested all the alternatives and said they were $hit. I have to agree with him from my test of some from APC.

So, if you really want them go down to your local retailer, bring along some KY Jelly and bend over. Expect $20 or $25 for the pair, plus tax.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

So, if you really want them go down to your local retailer, bring along some KY Jelly and bend over. Expect $20 or $25 for the pair, plus tax.
I think I will pass on that experience fine thank you....

And Dan put me down for four of those Halogen bulbs you speak of, I have no underhood light,

So four of the brake light hologens, and the two little amber ones...then....Thanks Dan...Just let me know when to pay and the preffered method again....

Thank's Again

Damian
Old 06-09-2004, 05:56 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Got you down, Damian. I will send out e-mails on the total cost in the morning, the 10th, when I close this down and order the bulbs I don't have on hand.

I forget exactly what those ambers were going for but they were about twice the cost of clears. Let's just say $3 for the pair, $27 for the (4) halogen 35s and $4.50 for the shipping. Total $34.50. You can PayPal me at wraydan@msn.com or just send me a check.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:43 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Schlicten, well you need to go look at the bulbs you have in there now. If you have high quality lights then I would bet they have H3 bulbs. But take a look-see. I've got 2 55 watt H3s and 15 100 watters on hand so can cover your needs.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:37 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the inquiry Dan. I guess I'll have to get the lubricant out and head to Autozone.

Quick Reply: Last Shot on Bulbs