Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NNJ Ice cream meet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn!!! I just spent 10 minutes typing out a long-winded post for an idea I had and it just disappeared!! Here it is again:

I think the GTGs are enjoyed by most of us and I'm probably not alone in thinking we should do them more often. The problem seems to be that we try to find a date that suits everyone since we don't do it very often, OTOH we don't do it very often since it's hard to find a date that's good for everyone. Classic "catch 22" if you think about it. I think the solution is to do MORE of these events, that way if someone can't make it we'll just see 'em at the next one. IIRC, the Chicago area guys have a weekly "beer night," maybe we should consider a similar, regular, meeting schedule. Weekly GTGs might be a bit much to start out with but maybe a monthly thing would work (1st Thursday of the month or something), that way you'd know way in advance when it is and you can decide if it's something you need to keep your schedule open for or just something to go to when you don't have anything else to do.
Any interest in a North Jersey Beer night?
Old 06-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Dave,

Great Idea, I would show up for a brew!
Old 06-05-2004, 07:39 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

MMMMMM, beer......
Old 06-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Dave
Race Car

I can't say the idea is original, I'm sure I'm not the first in this area to think we might want to try it so I'll give credit for the idea to those Chicago 'listers who have been doing it for years. So far it's 3 of us, let's get a plan together and see who joins in. The 1st Thursday was just an example but Thursdays do work best for me, anyone else have a preference? For location we need to find something that works well for everyone, I've been meaning to start checking out the state's brewpubs for a year or so now, so far it's just been Huntley Taverne (same owners as Trap Rock). I've been looking for an excuse to try the Gaslight, I'm guessing that would work better for Marc than it would for Winslow, I have no idea what's down in Winslow's area. Let's hear your ideas and as more people come on board I'm sure something will come together.

BTW, anyone heard from Damian recently? I haven't seen him post in a while but I imagine he'd be up for a beer or two.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been traveling, Boston two weeks ago (business and I gave an eyeball to the Speed Yellow 968 coupe that Raj bought himself), then Vegas this week, and tomorrow I fly to Seattle. I'm back on the 11th, and stick around until later in June. I'm always up for a meet, but I'm going to doing major travel all summer-Brazil, London, Zurich, Mexico, and all over the States. The car is under the cover with the battery plugged in, I'm not going to be using it much this summer.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:19 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're quite the busy bee Damian!

In regards to Dave's borrowed idea, I'm in. Hopefully I'll finish up my car in time to show it off. I still have to finish sanding my primer down before I can shoot the base coat, then clear.

I also have to work on my ball joints, tie rod ends, redo my re-covered seats (this time I'll read the directions) and top off the tranny fluid.

-Christian
Old 06-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

i can cross the border once in a while
Old 06-05-2004, 10:47 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll go anywhere within an hour to meet with you guys (I'd drive 2 hours if you weren't guys). I like Warren, Summit, Morristown, Somerville etc. Thursdays are generally good for me.

Right at the moment, I'm finally installing the new suspension in preparation for the DE at the Glen June 14 and 15 with Shattenbaum Region PCA.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I need a beer right now!

Bored out of my mind! My girlfriends in Normandy,France....
I even have a Brand new 400 horsepower 6 speed manual Caddy to play with but it's pouring out!

Sorry about the whining, just kind of BORED!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Dave
Race Car

It is? I was about to go walk the dog, I guess I'm gonna get wet. I need to put a window near the computer!

EDIT; I just went and looked outside, I'm something like 6 miles from you and my deck is dry! Either that or I gotta lay off the Stoli lemon and cranberry! I guess I'll know in a few minutes!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Raining here in West Orange, Have to take the mutt out as well.

Going to take a ride up to the Greenwich concours tomorrow, any of you guys ever go?
Old 06-06-2004, 03:08 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget the beer, we need to get some liquor and party.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Dave
Race Car

Damian, I could exercise your car for you, I'll pick it up early AM on the 12th
Porter and I had a nice dry walk and the house training seems to be working. It finally started raining while I was walking him around 8 THIS MORNING! Since it was supposed to start over 24 hours earlier and was raining in W Orange last night, I have to think it just missed here for a while!
Any new suggestions as to where and when??? Huntley Tavern is near me, the Gaslight near Marc might be good. Since Christian is south and Winslow is SW, maybe woodbridge area would be better?
Should we get a new thread going? (maybe even ask John D. to make it an admin)
Old 06-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anybody mention the Long Valley Pub and Brewery yet? It's a bit off the beaten path, but it's a nice place. Thursday nights are $2 pints as well. Here's the website: http://longvalleypubandbrewery.com/ If I'm not rebuilding something, I'd be in for a beer.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave, feel free to come borrow the car=autox's and DE's excepted, as the violate the 'track bad, wax good' code. I may even drive down to see the gang on Sat if wifey wouldn't freak about bailing on her so soon after coming home. Huntley works great for me as well, but I'm pretty open to other venues.

I'm looking forward to rain in Seattle, it hasn't been under 103F since I landed here Tuesday in LV. People tell me it's 'dry heat' and not so bad-a blowtorch is dry heat too, and that's no fun either.

Quick Reply: NNJ Ice cream meet?