Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVs....job from hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Man this thread brings back bad memories of what I called "retarded engineering" especially after doing everything from torsion bar replacement, head replacement, and shortblock replacement on 3 separate cars within the last month. Goes to show another da*n awesome feat of engineering done by Porsche engineers and their allen/triple square cr*p. This is the reason snap on sockets are very useful. Its the best $22 I spent next to the gearwrench and the titanium 1000ft/lb impact gun.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hans & Frans engineers... we should track them down and beat the cr*p out of them.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my dad always says stuff like that is done on purpose, to encourage you to bring it to teh dealer to fix.

why would anyone go to dealer for repairs if everything was half inch or 12mm bolts?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:40 PM
dave120
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well an update on today's progress..I'm DONE! My dad went out and bought every bolt remover that exists, came home after work ready to see what kind of damage control we were looking at. I put the car up, took all the bolts out, pulled the axle off (I'm getting rather fast at this now). There was a good chunk of the bolt exposed and sticking out. So I figured good, this won't be TOO bad. Well I grabbed the thing with my fingers and it started turning! You wouldn't believe the look on my dad's face as he asks "Are you kidding??" 10 times while I'm threading it out. Man it's about time I caught a break! That was way too easy, I expected this job to be a major PITA to get that bolt out. The rest was just trivial after that, so now my car is road worthy again! I still have to wait on the new bolts to get here, but all the new ones aside from the ones I stripped and the one that broke were perfect, so I just have the 6 on the outer driver side that I'm going to go back and replace. I just put the old ones back in for now. We inspected them and there's no sign of stripping or stretching on any of the ones we used. Still going back new anyways on them but I don't have to wait a week till they come in to drive my car!

WOOHOO! I'm going for a drive once I eat and get a shower.

Oh yeah, that trick of grinding the end of the tool worked wonders too. It fits MUCH better in the heads now. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: CVs....job from hell