Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

congrats to you rennlisters!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 11:21 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts
Default congrats to you rennlisters!

hey everybody,
i purchased my 96 M3 about a month ago and haven't been here on rennlist much since i've been perusing the M3 forums mostly.

i have to say, rennlist is a great community that seems to be unparalleled. the M3 forums are mostly visited by twenty-somethings with something to prove (ie, my car is faster/more powerful/ better looking/ more modified than yours). the technical advice seems to be less sound than it is here, maybe because a lot of the guys don't do their own work? and the general ambience seems to be very competitive and antagonistic, not the same as the friendly helpfulness generally shown on rennlist.

some of the owners are true track junkies with some helpful tips and advice, but a lot of the people, it seems, are there for the "bling"

congrats on keeping a great forum "great," and keep up the good work.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Great to have you back.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:41 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, i have gotten that feeling from a few other boards! Rennlist is the best!
Old 05-31-2004, 03:09 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I kind of got the same feeling when I finally registered at VW Vortex. I had heard great things about it, and when I posted pics of my Jetta, everyone was happily responding. But as soon as I posted a couple of technical questions, I could actually hear the crickets. And the few techincal threads I did read were pretty... incorrect.

Perhaps I didn't give it enough time and just happened to spend two or three days looking when all of the gurus were out of town. But at this point, I've decided that it's a good place to go for cosmetic info, but for technical advice, well, I'll go elsewhere.

Hell, I think this forum has given me better Jetta tech advice than they did!

BB.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed, VWVortex sucks for technical questions. All of the threads there are "check out this sweet vdub" or "who owns this car" Most of the threads are pictures. Also, i've been to VW and Porsche meets, and there is no comparison between the crowd of people. I would gladly stick with the Porsche crowd any day of the week. But hey, VW parts are dirt cheap (Water pumps are $22 - NEW!)
Old 05-31-2004, 04:05 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd agree completely about the various Bimmer forums. E46Fanatics is nearly worthless. It does have some good info, but you have to cut through a lot of crap to find it.

As others have said, Bimmerforums is pretty good, and lately I've come to like Bimmerfest.

Which BMW forums do you frequent?
Old 05-31-2004, 06:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree 100% that the Rennlist forums are some of the best out there. When it was a close decision that i was going to pickup a Honda Civic i looked around for forums. I found a few, but you could only imagine the type of flaming that went on in these places. I found only one good forum (JDMCivic.Com) with helpful people, but have to say it was tough to find straight/correct answers to any questions.

Rennlist is defenetley one of those reasons id want to always have a Porsche.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:29 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Geo- I was referring primarily to bimmerforums. while there is some helpful posting there, it still seems a lot of the forum submissions are about bling bling or one poster putting down another. more crude language and less cooperation has been my experience.

i have also posted on M3forum.com, and it has its positives. but again, i guess i am just accustomed to the helpful ambience among rennlisters.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:22 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by joseph mitro
Geo- I was referring primarily to bimmerforums. while there is some helpful posting there, it still seems a lot of the forum submissions are about bling bling or one poster putting down another. more crude language and less cooperation has been my experience.

i have also posted on M3forum.com, and it has its positives. but again, i guess i am just accustomed to the helpful ambience among rennlisters.
Well, I have to say I find I fit in the Porsche community, or at least specifically the 944 community much better than the BMW and E46 community.

Most of the Bimmer guys I can't stand. Mostly I spend time in the racing sections. I see too many of the Bimmer kids as riceboys with money. Way too much attitude.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:30 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Originally posted by Geo
I see too many of the Bimmer kids as riceboys with money. Way too much attitude.
strangely, that's my impression, too.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:26 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

hey Joseph its been a while since I've seen you back here. Good to see you! I hope you don't make any long time vacations again soon

Andy
Old 06-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see you back. Having been on StangNet a while back, I LOVE RENNLIST!

Quick Reply: congrats to you rennlisters!