Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accidentally got a partially disassembled 924S Special Edition

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 07:04 PM
perkele
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, it's incredibly difficult to ensure that the plug wires seat on the plugs when you have to stick only your finger tips through the intake manifold... I need to make some kind of tool for this...
Old 02-10-2024, 08:16 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 624 Likes on 371 Posts

If it'll run on 2, and you have the wires arranged in that order at the cap, you're OK there.
If you have spark at the end of each plug wire, take a look at the plugs themselves. Maybe swap them around just to eliminate them as a problem.

Have you checked compression?
It doesn't seem plausible, but I've seen it twice with my own eyes... after an engine sat for a long time, the rings no longer sealed.
A couple of squirts of oil into the cylinder, cranked it a few times, put the plugs back in.
Voila! And they continued to run without issue for years.

You can listen for the 'click' at each injector with a stethoscope, or the old screwdriver-to-the-ear trick, to verify they fire.
Won't tell you if they're spraying fuel, but if they click, try swapping them around to see if the misfire follows.
Good luck, let us know what you find!
Old 02-10-2024, 11:08 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 296 Posts

Congratulations on getting it going!
I second Nowankers suggestion to listen in on the injectors. It is common for newly cleaned injectors to stick closed from the cleaning fluid. A little tap on the injector body with a brass or wood punch will often bring them to life.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:47 PM
perkele
Advanced

Thanks guys... By the end of the day yesterday, 3 cylinders were firing so I took the car for a test drive around the block. First time driving a Porsche. Everything seems to basically work. The lights flip up and turn on, the brakes stop, the clutch engages and disengages, and I can get into the gears.

Today I checked the compression and all 4 cylinders were showing in the range of 185-195psi. I don't trust the gauge--that's way too high, but the spread was small, so compression is good.

So then I fired the car back up and started tapping around on the number 3 injector. Nothing happened while tapping, but as soon as I gave up, the cylinder came to life. Now we're running on all 4 cylinders.

Car still sounds like hell with the cat section removed, so I ordered a glass pack to stick in there. The fuel pump is about to die, so got one of those on the way as well....

Doing a coolant flush now and am starting to clean some stuff up.

The following 3 users liked this post by perkele:
DSMblue (02-12-2024), jeyjey (02-11-2024), Nowanker (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 11:48 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 624 Likes on 371 Posts

Awesome news!
Old 02-12-2024, 12:05 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Good work on getting it going! Now we need to see some interior shots - the SE is really (for all intents and purposes) a Club Sport.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:44 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Great news! You have a running car, and it sounds like your list of items to do (fuel pump etc.) will just add to the reliability and you will be happily driving this car with confidence very soon!
Old 03-23-2024, 05:49 PM
perkele
Advanced

Just wanted to say, I didn't disappear. I don't have many updates primarily because I'm still trying to get plates on the car so I can do some serious road testing. I did change the oil give the car a wash and I've moved the car in and out of the garage a bunch of times as I try to make room for 2 cars in there. I also got a center resonator welded in the place where the cat used to be so that the sound is no longer deafening. The muffler leaks, so that will be replaced at some point.

I totaled my daily driver (a Benz) and have a new (to me) Benz that needs some work before I have much time/money to improve the Porsche. However, I have a new steering column bushing, fuel pump, some fan relays, and a hose or two "in stock" so I can do those things without spending much money if I have the time... I also put a new cylinder in the door lock to match the ignition and can get that put in hopefully soon.

Getting plates is much harder than expected due to some special circumstances, which is kind of a bummer...
Old 03-23-2024, 08:18 PM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Great job and impressive work to get it going again!
Old 03-28-2024, 01:57 AM
perkele
Advanced

Thanks 👍

I got one thing done... I spent an hour and a half replacing that plastic bushing in the steering column. What a pain in the #*(*@(#&&@@@)*. Took 5 minutes to get the old one out and the rest of the time pressing the new one in with all kinds of various tools I had. I gave up on pressing after I ran out of tools to press with with the bushing less than half way towards its final resting place. I just cut a piece of fence rail and tapped it home. I probably didn't mess up the bearing at all, I dunno. It's not a high RPM/high loading bearing, so it's probably fine. The various forum posts, pictures around the internet, and everything I could find were in conflict on how the thing actually installs. Nowhere was there a clear conclusion on how it should be put on or even where it goes in the final assembly. I think I at least know the answer to where it is supposed to go now. As for how it's supposed to be put on, I haven't a clue. I think at the factory they probably install it on the column before the column even goes in the car and they use a press with a special fitting on it to do the job, and they never considered how to put one on in the car (yet they sell the part!). I would like to know what the workshop manual says...
Old Today, 04:09 PM
perkele
Advanced

Quick update:

-I got the car plated and have driven it about 40 miles so far. No issues except I have some vacuum leaks to address under the intake manifold resulting in a high idle. I have those parts so that will be one of the next operations.
-I finally replaced the hood and trunk struts so I was able to remove a metal bar and some wood from the trunk. The trunk release works, as do 3/4 of the latches, which is good enough to hold it shut. I'll need to disassemble, clean, and lube the latch parts soon. I also need to replace the plastic part that holds the hood release so I can stop breaking my fingers when I open the hood.
-I installed the door handle that I "fixed" and it immediately broke, which is actually what I expected, so I'm in the market for a driver's side door handle with or without cylinder, with or without the trigger that opens the door. I just need the shell.
-I've started removing some crap from the paint and now you can actually see Porsche on the back, but still barely. I'll need a hood ornament and all the decals soon.
-The center rear view mirror fell off the first time I touched it. No biggie, just need some glue.
-I have oil leaking from somewhere, but it's minor.
-I don't think I have any PS fluid left, and there seems to be a little hose that goes from one side of the rack to the other which I am completely missing. I need to figure out what that is pretty soon.
-The roof mechanism works, but one of the plastic cone-shaped pins is missing, which doesn't seem to matter. I probably should find one of those though.
-The driveline has a lot of slop. I think it's just mounts/bushings.
-I stopped disconnecting the battery when the car is in the garage. It seems there are no significant shorts!
-The e-brake light flickers on and off while driving. I need to figure out of the switch is on the handle or the brake side and then clean/adjust it.

In summary, the car is driveable and most stuff works fine. I will just keep improving things over time. A new shift boot and a dash recover would do some wonders.

Quick Reply: Accidentally got a partially disassembled 924S Special Edition