Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building the perfect beast

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 11:23 PM
alexands
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building the perfect beast

Well, maybe not a beast, but a decent track car.

I just discovered rennlist and am delighted there are as many 944/951 fans as myself. I'm in the process of building a track car for PCA F stock class and thought I'd list everything I'm doing or installed and see if there's anyone that has any advice and/or is in the process or considering any of these mods.

This is my second 951. I used to have an 89 Turbo S but sold it to buy my wife a Ford Explorer (BIGGEST. MISTAKE. EVER). I was much younger then and didn't realize what I had. I learned the hard way.

This is my first race car and, being a tinkerer, I couldn't just buy a race-ready car, I had to build it myself (half the fun, right?). Even though I'll be running in a stock class there are still considerable amounts of mods (and money ;-) that are possible. Needless to say, I've blown my budget BIG TIME, but after one PCA DE I'm addicted and have stopped looking at my credit card bill.

- 86 944 Turbo (originally gold metalic, has been repainted Porsche red. Crappy paint job by previous owner)
- Spec Stage 3 racing clutch
- Zimmerman crossdrilled rotors
- Mintex Brake pads
- New Timing belt/balance belt
- M030 front and rear sway bars from a 968
- Koni yellows on all four
- Weltmeister 250# springs in front
- Weltmeister tower brace
- Weltmeister Stage II Chips (not PCA legal, but I figured I'd have some fun on the street)
- Lindsey Racing 3" exhaust (no cat)
- Flowmaster muffler
- Lonza header
- Lindsey 2-piece cross-over pipe
- Kokeln Moly control arms
- Forgeline 17x8, 17X9
- MSDS Cone filter
- A bunch of tune up stuff (cap, rotor, MSD coil, Beru plugs)

At my first DE I torched the engine. I learned the hard way about the problem with sloshing oil and the number 2 rod bearing. Right now the motor is out of the car and is being rebuilt. Here's what will happen:

- Lindesy wil rebuild stock turbocharger (K-26)
- Lindsey racing weld-in oil pan baffle
- New water pump
- Cross-drilled crank
- Machine flywheel
- Deck surface head
- Replace valve guides
- New bearing and rings (duh)
- Cometic head gasket

I also plan to have the front sway bar mount (where the hanger bolts to the frame) welded and stiffened. The big sway bar tore it out of the frame. I'll also get the back lowered. Fronts already lowered 1" with new springs, but I couldn't get the rear swing arms loose to do it myself.

Any advice on any of this. I've learned that there are many more smart people than me on the 951 and have spent many more $$$$ than me. I welcome and advice/questions.

Scott
Old 05-30-2004, 12:24 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!

My first touch on your current setup would be way more spring. Maybe 350-400 on the front with 30mm bars in back (can keep the standard Koni Sports with these rates).

Good Luck!
Old 05-30-2004, 05:17 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd that, you didn't mention anything about changing the rear spring rates. T-Bars aren't that bad, don't be scared

Quick Reply: Building the perfect beast