Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O.T:: the silly little Bento Box that saved my 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 08:47 PM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sorta like those cars. If it were my car i would tint and lower and call it good (actually thats the only way i like these cars)
Old 05-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Originally posted by Joe Anstett
It reminds me of an electric train.

Or the Renault LeCar.

I agree that the xB and Elephant are shoebox ugly.

But if you really want quirky, I'm surprised you didn't look into the Pontiac Aztek

or Isuzu Vehicross.

It has a toy appearance, enhanced by the odd "thumb-print" door graphic. It looks like a 50 foot kid picked it up to play cars. I always loved the Renault R5, the mid turbo-engined, pro rally car version of LeCar. The Pontiac doesn't ring for me, but it sure is quirky. And the Isuzu Vehicross overlaps characteristics found in other vehicles in our driveway- a restored Toyota FJ-40 and a new 4-runner.

Originally posted by Campeck
oh.
I only saw one gauge.
or is it all on that one white gauge face? funky........
Yeah, that one gauge is it. It's kinda funny having it mounted in the center, but there isn't much that you need to watch; so getting it out of the way gives great forward vision for the driver. Also helps answer the kids' "how fast are we going" questions from the back seat.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RI951
The only thing I can say about those Xb's is that they make the Honda Element look good. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, so if it means the P-car stays, well...

Get the windows tinted. Dark.
I agree with both comments....

But man's gotta do what a man's gotta do to save his 951, I suppose. Folks have done worse things to save a car....

The xB is too much of a 'JDM craze' car for me. The biggest reason this car will sell well here in the USA (besides it's rediculously low sticker price) is that right now, anything that resembles 'J-Spec' or JDM (Japanese Domestic Product) is HOT amongst the near-20-something kids.

I must say for a little car, it does have a lot of space inside. I just can't see beyond it's looks.

Just my $0.42, (and I'm not trying to start a flame war...)
-Z-man.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:36 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Originally posted by Z-man
I agree with both comments....

But man's gotta do what a man's gotta do to save his 951, I suppose. Folks have done worse things to save a car....

The xB is too much of a 'JDM craze' car for me. The biggest reason this car will sell well here in the USA (besides it's rediculously low sticker price) is that right now, anything that resembles 'J-Spec' or JDM (Japanese Domestic Product) is HOT amongst the near-20-something kids.

I must say for a little car, it does have a lot of space inside. I just can't see beyond it's looks.

Just my $0.42, (and I'm not trying to start a flame war...)
-Z-man.
No worries about flaming. I think it's safe to say that an adult that buys one of these cars has to be comfortable enough with other people's opinions to take the varied comments it evokes in stride.

Have you done much travel in Japan? My time's been limited to lux hotels in Tokyo with well funded partners courting our business, trade shows in Makuhari, and few trips to work with local software resellers in Fukoka. I've always dug the micro-bus/vans that cruise the streets, doing delivery detail, service, or just as passenger cars. I like the white gloves and doilies in the taxis. I've always had a soft spot for the Japanese style of hot-rodding. I'd always wanted to convert my old 72 240Z to a japanese styled fairlady and that was back in 78, so I'm a bit of an odd duck there, always out of step. But that micro-van style was one of the elements, no pun intended, that hit for me with this car.

Quick Reply: O.T:: the silly little Bento Box that saved my 951