Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O.T:: the silly little Bento Box that saved my 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 11:57 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True... I just can't figure out what my preferences are. I'm pretty sure I like the Scion, just not man enough to admit it....
Old 05-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you taken it on a long trip yet? The seatbacks look really similar to the ones on my Celica. They look nice and are good quality, but my lower back kills me after driving more than 2 1/2 hours or so.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Originally posted by josephsc
True... I just can't figure out what my preferences are. I'm pretty sure I like the Scion, just not man enough to admit it....
You opened up a big can of worms on that one. Maybe we should post pictures of wives and girlfriends before the rennlisters from the midwest start getting nervous.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:30 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Cooper
You opened up a big can of worms on that one. Maybe we should post pictures of wives and girlfriends before the rennlisters from the midwest start getting nervous.
Right! Must prove manhood..... Here's the prettiest girl I ever dated (please let my current GF never ever see this!)

Of course, she now lives back in Istanbul -- which is approximately the opposite side of the planet... I miss her....
Old 05-30-2004, 03:26 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey man, I work for Toyota, we just started selling the XB and XA a couple of weeks ago, Im not a big fan of the style but there is a HUGE aftermarket support, everything from superchargers to lowering kits installed by the dealer, The two cars are based on th echo same frame different style, soon there will be a XC or something like that, its gonna be a cross between a camry and a solara. The XB and XA are both solid cars and handle good, if you ask me I think its a little under powered but it can get out of its way when it needs to. The cars are aimed at the younger crowed, But I have notice that a lot of mid aged people are getting them. The cars are new but so far we havent seen any pronblems with them, Anyway do what ever it takes to save the 951
Old 05-30-2004, 03:49 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be honest... Id feel sexually confused just parking beside one of those shoe boxes...

But at least you have the Porsche to make up for driving that thing
Old 05-30-2004, 06:08 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by fast924S
Hey man, I work for Toyota, we just started selling the XB and XA a couple of weeks ago, Im not a big fan of the style but there is a HUGE aftermarket support, everything from superchargers to lowering kits installed by the dealer, The two cars are based on th echo same frame different style, soon there will be a XC or something like that, its gonna be a cross between a camry and a solara. The XB and XA are both solid cars and handle good, if you ask me I think its a little under powered but it can get out of its way when it needs to. The cars are aimed at the younger crowed, But I have notice that a lot of mid aged people are getting them. The cars are new but so far we havent seen any pronblems with them, Anyway do what ever it takes to save the 951
That would be tC, and its a direct replacement of the Celica, nothing to do with camary, or solara, which are the same car.
~Eyal
P.S. I call it a toaster.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Originally posted by josephsc
Right! Must prove manhood..... Here's the prettiest girl I ever dated
She's a good looking woman. Reminds me of my wife's very sexy finnish friend. I've been trying to talk them into a threesome for years. Looks like I'll have to settle for hot-tub visuals

wife on left - finnish friend on right

Originally posted by fast924S
Hey man, I work for Toyota, we just started selling the XB and XA a couple of weeks ago .... Anyway do what ever it takes to save the 951
I'm a walking/talking Toyota testimonial, maybe you guys should sponsor me and pay for the car.

Originally posted by theedge
To be honest... Id feel sexually confused just parking beside one of those shoe boxes...

But at least you have the Porsche to make up for driving that thing
Driving it would straighten you right up It brings out your inner Latino Machismo. Crank up the Shakira and find the local bario.

And I would be driving the Porsche but it's on jack stands beckoning to me to spend another few precious weekends getting her back together. Oh oh oh oh what a feeling, Porsche maintenance.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:13 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Cooper
She's a good looking woman. Reminds me of my wife's very sexy finnish friend. I've been trying to talk them into a threesome for years. Looks like I'll have to settle for hot-tub visuals

wife on left - finnish friend on right

I'm a walking/talking Toyota testimonial, maybe you guys should sponsor me and pay for the car.

Driving it would straighten you right up It brings out your inner Latino Machismo. Crank up the Shakira and find the local bario.

And I would be driving the Porsche but it's on jack stands beckoning to me to spend another few precious weekends getting her back together. Oh oh oh oh what a feeling, Porsche maintenance.
Mines up on jackstands too... Waterpump decided to leak.

I just did my first oil and coolant change. I feel like ive just learned what rock climbing is and im being sent up Everst... Then K9.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:06 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RI951
The only thing I can say about those Xb's is that they make the Honda Element look good. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, so if it means the P-car stays, well...

Get the windows tinted. Dark.
Agreed. Glad you got to keep the 951, but Scion? Disgusting.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

HAHAHAHAHA.
It's a box.
but seriusly, I find those things to be one of the ugliest cars EVER made.
if I had to choose between the xa or xb I would get the xb cause its different....but dude......there are other cheap cars......and where is the tach? or oil pressure gauge? or all the other cool gauges?!!?!?!

plus..the thing has like 70 hp. HAHAHA
Old 05-31-2004, 03:51 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

I just got back a few days ago from an 18 day cross country trip that we took in my buddy's Scion xA, and going through many desolate stretches of the west, we were able to see what the thing could do.

According to the GPS on the laptop (seems to be more accurate than the speedo on most cars), it will go 115 MPH on flat ground in death valley, and we managed to hit 120 before the fuel cut off @ 6000 RPM's in 5th gear going down a hill in Montana (it appears to be governed).

I was driving it on a logging trail in southern Oregon that connected I5 to the PCH (about 2/3 of it was paved, but it was very twisty and fun), running it 8/10ths through the turns and keeping the engine above 5000 RPMs for about 20 minutes or so. The brakes were completely faded after about 3 minutes of hard driving, so I had to take it easy for a couple minutes at a time to let the brakes return. The car, as expected, understeered, but the stock tires on the 14" steel wheels were a lot better than I was expecting (and even allowed us to navigate a blizzard in the Colorado rockies), and held up nicely through wet and dry patches on this logging trail. When we stopped after 20 minutes of hard hard driving on this car, the car smelled like 100 pounds of human hair had been set on fire under the engine bay...it must have been that we ran it so hard the factory coating on engine parts burned off.

I was fairly impressed with the car's flat torque curve (VVT helps a bit) but as soon as we got over 3 or 4 thousand feet in elevation, the car became hard to drive up hill, and at 11,000 feet in Colorado, we could only make it up the mountain passes in 2nd gear.

The seats were better than most econcomy cars I have ridden in for long periods of time (I believe we went a little over 8000 miles on our voyage) but not as nice as most sports cars. Overall, it was a decent car to ride in, we never got less than 28 MPG (usually around 34, best was 38, and oddly enough that was when we traversed the Rockies on our return voyage), but the smell in the car after 2 and a half weeks with 3 men who didn't have the opportunity to shower every day became quite bad.

Oh yeah, we have videos of most of our dumb exploits, we just have to edit them together.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Originally posted by Campeck
HAHAHAHAHA.
It's a box.
but seriusly, I find those things to be one of the ugliest cars EVER made.
if I had to choose between the xa or xb I would get the xb cause its different....but dude......there are other cheap cars......and where is the tach? or oil pressure gauge? or all the other cool gauges?!!?!?!

plus..the thing has like 70 hp. HAHAHA
Oh, to be young again and given your car!

HP? Doesn't matter to me; but it's over 100, and that's plenty of horsepower to 80 on the highway. It gets 35+ MPG, way better than my motorcycle that'll do 185 MPH.
Ugly? Yep, that's the charm for me.
Other cheap cars? Yep, but they all look alike.
Tach? It's on the main cluster?
Oil pressure gauge? It's got an idiot light and a 100,000 mile warranty. And it's a Toyota so it's never likely to be an issue. So why worry about it?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:34 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

It reminds me of an electric train.

Or the Renault LeCar.

I agree that the xB and Elephant are shoebox ugly.

But if you really want quirky, I'm surprised you didn't look into the Pontiac Aztek

or Isuzu Vehicross.

Old 05-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

oh.
I only saw one gauge.
or is it all on that one white gauge face? funky........

Quick Reply: O.T:: the silly little Bento Box that saved my 951