Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Turbo look conversion progress pics, 56k warning.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 05:32 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Turbo look conversion progress pics, 56k warning.

I haven't posted pics in a while, well, because... There hasn't been much progress... Now I'm just sick of not getting to drive the 944, so I've been attempting to get my *** in gear and get it done.

Some of these pictures need a little explanation.

Explanation. If you remember, I'm using an AIR turbo look conversion bumper designed for the N/A, I'm also using the AIR fenders, and hood. The problem is in the fact that I chose the AIR header panel for the 951. I used a set of headlights from a 951, so those weren't a problem. The header panel contour did not match up with the bumper contour, leaving an unsightly gap between the two, as seen in this picture :

The gap really doesn't look as bad in that picture, but it was pretty unbearable for me to look at in person. I built up the bumper with fiberglass and body filler to get the contours to match up.

Shaved the side markers to go for a euro look, I decided to do this due to the fact that the side markers were the only lights I didn't replace up front, and with the ricer market, euro style side markers are inexpensive. I'll recess the lights I bought into the fenders, for a factory look.

Test fitting the lights. The black paint is so I can find any high and low spots for the final sanding on the bumper.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Adam Roberts
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not meaning to bust anybody's bubble.. but.. how much did this cost?
Old 05-29-2004, 05:44 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Lookin good Jack

Insurance is a nice thing ,eh?
Old 05-29-2004, 06:04 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally posted by Mike Markota
Lookin good Jack

Insurance is a nice thing ,eh?
Yep, if it weren't for insurance this project would never get as far as it has. I posted this on Tristarion too, I guess it's not totally off-topic when you consider the very first picture posted has a brand new airdam for the Conquest sitting on top of my 944
Old 05-29-2004, 06:11 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally posted by Adam Roberts
I'm not meaning to bust anybody's bubble.. but.. how much did this cost?
Alot.

There's about $1500 in fiberglass parts: hood, fenders, header panel, airdam. I got a discount for purchasing so much.

The turn signals were about $70ea. from Pelican.

I picked up the Euro fog/driving lights on eBay for around $300.

The trim pieces for the fog lights were around $20.

I'm using a 951 aluminum bumper support, 951 headlight lids and the plastic shrouds ~$200-ish from various members.

The thing to remember, or search for at least, is what started this conversion. I hit a deer in the car, which was estimated around $4000 in damage using aftermarket parts, $5500 using factory parts. Luckily for me, my insurance can appreciate a classic, and considering the car's condition, I was able to persuade them to allow me to use aftermarket parts as opposed to totalling the car, thus the conversion was born. There was no structural damage to the car, aside from a bent passenger side headlight bucket.

Being a smart shopper, I even ended up with a set of 993 Replica 17" wheels, and a few other goodies to go in and on the car. The only thing we'll have to pay for out of pocket will be the paintjob, and rubber for the 17's.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was about to make the same comment about costs and trouble...then i realized im in the same boat with insurance costs!
Old 05-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Adam Roberts
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. it makes sense now. Gonna' do the Rear Valence too?

I was about to make the same comment about costs and trouble...then i realized im in the same boat with insurance costs!
My insurance actually went down $6 when I bought the turbo.. I think it was because I now have airbags... heh.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:23 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally posted by Adam Roberts
Ok.. it makes sense now. Gonna' do the Rear Valence too?
Nope,

A. I ran out of money
B. It's got the vented style Euro rear valence, which I kinda like.

I seriously thought about doing the turbo rear valence, and will probably kick myself for not doing it. But I feel like the euro valence dresses up the rear end pretty nicely.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great pics Jack. Have you worked with fiberglass before?
Old 05-29-2004, 07:22 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally posted by Mike B
Great pics Jack. Have you worked with fiberglass before?
Yes. I haven't done any mold building, and mass production type work, but I was a car stereo installer that did 'custom' work for a little over 10 years. I've built custom kickpanels, door panels, door pods, boxes and even speaker walls out of fiberglass. I've worked with it enough to practically build up an immunity to the dreaded fiberglass itch

Quick Reply: My Turbo look conversion progress pics, 56k warning.