Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas smell from hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 06:15 PM
jfals82
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Gas smell from hatch

I just purchased a 1984 Porsche 944. This is my first classic and excited to learn how to do my own repairs. Read I have very little knowledge or experience when it comes to cars.

I can see some gas leakage from the base of the fuel filler neck hoses as they connect to the gas tank. I'm hoping it is a matter of replacing the hoses and not a cracked metal gas tank. I've done my research and it looks like I need to drop the gas tank to complete this fix but that process looks daunting. Are there any initial steps I could take to alleviate the gas smell without removing the gas tank?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2023, 06:38 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 510 Posts

If you haven't yet found Clark's Garage, it's an invaluable source of help for all kinds of work on these cars: http://www.clarks-garage.com

I don't know the early cars very well, so I can't comment reliably on what might be going on. However, depending on what the issue is, there is some amount of space back there to get to things and you may not have to drop the gas tank. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but you're in the right place for help and support.

Welcome! (And please post pictures of your car, that's always appreciated.)

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
jfals82 (10-10-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 08:39 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Gas smell

Unsnap and pull out the rear carpet that’s over the tank. Look into the passenger side rear cubby. There’s an overflow line that goes through a hole in the coachwork there. It may be rotted off and dumping fuel into the cubby. That’s the easy part. Have you checked the fuel tank strainer and filter yet? That may tell you about the tank condition. If the strainer is full of rust, then you may have to pull the tank and either get it repaired or get another one. It has to be a metal tank. Plastic ones for the later cars don’t fit well and mods will be required to make them fit. Good luck with that operation. If the strainer is clear, you may have a rotted or seeping line going to the long plastic overflow reservoir, or it may be partially plugged. There are some valves in the filler neck assembly which is under the upholstery on the passenger side. Try not to go down this rabbit hole if at all possible, and leave it alone. Check where the gas filler is and see if the overflow line has rotted off or is about to. You can remove the rubber piece that shields the coachwork from the gas pump handle and take a look-see with a cellphone borescope or perhaps a good light source. If you’re going to pull the metal shield on the inside of the car that goes over the filler neck, get braced to remove the triangular window on the passenger side. Hopefully this is only a piece of hose replacement or a bad gasket somewhere. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Tiger03447:
Cameronjames (10-10-2023), jfals82 (10-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Gas smell from hatch