Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 944 S2 and...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 11:40 AM
ahsan127
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If I am around your area, I would actually like to check out your car, if you dont mind. And if I end up getting this, then I'll just drive this over. I will know by tuesday.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

i am by JFK. i think i got a better then average deal. the belts have 10k on them but were done in 98. the car needs tires, but everything else looks right. i may have gotten a better then avarage deal on this one, but i got a worse then average reaming when my red one was stolen.

does the black car have LSD or the M030 suspension? check the option codes sticker in back by the spare.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:49 PM
ahsan127
Instructor

Ok,

So the mechanic checked out the trans. He seems to think that it may be the torque tube. Question: IF it was the torque tube, wouldn't I be able to feel the vibration no matter which way the tires are turning? I ONLY get the vibration (enough to shake the entire car!) when I downshift form 3rd to 2nd while making a right turn. It does not happen while going straight or when turning left. There is also a low hissing sound when the care is in idle...sound like coming form the trany? But all in all the mechanic is not sure what causing the problem. He said that he would need to open up the trans. itself. $1500!!! Please help if someone knows of this problem.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did he check the mounts? they're ok? front suspension is in good condition? trans oil isnt low or full of metal? i dunno..

ahsan127 where in CT are you?

Tom: maybe me and ahsan127 will come over this weekend to see the S2 you stole for under 10K? are you going to do the cam tensioner on it soon? I'm thinking I should do it ... but I'm not at 90 and I'm pretty confident that I shouldnt worry about it until I get there... are you sure just changing the top pad is good enough? I would just do the whole assembly if the cam cover is off already... but thats what... $300 in parts?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that the vibration usually occurs after going to a spring centered clutch. Mine did anyways after going to a Sachs spring centered clutch, and it helped when I tightened down these bolts. It's possible it's as simple as that. ...one can always hope right.

Here's the bolts in question...
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=loose+shifter

Good luck on the search and if Kansas isn't too far let me know, my S2's for sale.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Ok, I'll ask the question: why are you downshifting from 3rd to 2nd?

- Are you downshifting to slow the car down? (BAD, very BAD habit)

- Are you downshifting because the car is going slower, and are you doing a heel-and-toe downshift to match the engine rev's with the driveshaft? (The proper way to downshift)

If you are doing the first scenario - the solution is simple: USE THE BRAKES to slow the car, not the tranny! (Note: trannys are more expensive to repair/replace than brakes.)

Not trying to flame here, but too many people use the tranny to slow down, and that's a no-no, especially on a car whose repair costs are above the average.

-Z-man.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Tom, ever consider dropping the car off to get the belts taken care of while you're waiting for the insurance to kick in?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:44 PM
jim944s2
Racer

Z-man; good point! If you're downshifting correctly there should be no load on the transmission, otherwise you're just using your clutch for brakes (and the brakes work better for that purpose).
I paid $10k for my '89 S2, it has appx. 75k miles on it (appx. because mine had a broken odo gear, as most all S2's have had). I don't think $10k for a really nice example is too much at all. Like that guy in Excellece always says; you're way better off paying more $$ for a nicer car.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:19 PM
ahsan127
Instructor

Z-man; Its not a matter on down shifting to slow the car down. I agree its the wrong thing to do. Its just that I shouldn't be expericing that problem when I do.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:23 PM
ahsan127
Instructor

Anyways,

I'm gonna go pick up the car tonight. I am really excited to get it as it does not require any work aside form this vibration problem, which I really do not have to worry about if I match revs. I just want to drive it one more time before I get it.

Question: I have noticed the earlier model S2's to be faster than the later ones...at least it feels that way while driving...is there any truth to that?
Old 06-02-2004, 04:34 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Simon--Replace that thing NOW!! Don't wait. It's 16 years old, and brittle as hell by now. Why take a chance? At least do the $25 pad. I replaced the whole tensioner--my bottom pad looked as brittle and grooved as the top one.

Tom--I'll PM you my great idea re: insurance

I wouldn't buy a car that was hit. Period. You can find clean no-accident examples, it just takes time (and some travel). If it was $6k, that would be different...but I don't like a car that was hit.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Z-man
Race Director

ahsan127:
Getting back to your original concern: I had my clutch replaced about a year and a half ago with a spring centered unit like the ones found in the 944 turbos. The clutch plate surface was also refaced.

Sometimes, when I take a corner and need to shift to 2nd gear (from 3rd), I get some shaking from the tranny. The reason: not enough gas and the new clutch is more grippier than the original rubber-centered clutch hub.

So when you go to take it for a ride again, give it a little more gas when you need to grab 2nd. That may be the cause of your shaking.

Regarding performance differences: As far as I know, the early 944S2 isn't any different than the later 944S2's. The only thing I can think of that is different is the rear spoiler, and if anything, the later (raised) spoilers are probably lighter than the attached spoilers of the earlier models. HOWEVER: a well tuned and properly maintained 944S2 will run stronger than one that is neglected.

HTH,
-Z-man.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

hey Andy..

you did the tensioner yourself or at a shop? how much did the whole switcharoo cost you total? thanks
Old 06-02-2004, 05:36 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Simon--I did it myself. It's easy, as long as you can remove and re-install bolts! The tensioner cost me about $270 from Sunset Imports. Check the guide to doing-it-yourself here:

Cam Tensioner Replacement

Sorry for the thread hijack!
Old 06-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally posted by Dave
Hey Tom, ever consider dropping the car off to get the belts taken care of while you're waiting for the insurance to kick in?
yeah. the camaro hvac has a vacuum leak, so all the air goes to the defroster. gotta get that fixed first since im frying in there when i get home. then its the 944. im doing a deal for a friends sister, so i should have $$ in a week or two.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 944 S2 and...