Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to throw the car off a cliff

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 06:49 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 385 Likes on 250 Posts

Sometimes they use that to light the cat off faster...
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (10-24-2023)
Old 10-15-2023, 10:00 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
Exactly what I was thinking is the ISV is either failing, or potentially the DME
I have a new ISV and a new solid state DME. Both were bought in pursuit of curing this issue. Both did not.
I did notice something new, when I turn the AC on the rpm drops to 950 rpm.

not sure of normal or not.

Last edited by Last Lemming; 10-15-2023 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 11:48 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
I have a new ISV and a new solid state DME. Both were bought in pursuit of curing this issue. Both did not.
I did notice something new, when I turn the AC on the rpm drops to 950 rpm.

not sure of normal or not.
AC is supposed to trigger a slight rise in rpm, not drop (?)

Either the ISV is not compensating (you're getting normal load drop) or it's working opposite like. Is it possible to wire it so it works in reverse? I've changed mine ages ago & forget the plug
Old 10-17-2023, 09:49 PM
orig944
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
AC is supposed to trigger a slight rise in rpm, not drop (?)

Either the ISV is not compensating (you're getting normal load drop) or it's working opposite like. Is it possible to wire it so it works in reverse? I've changed mine ages ago & forget the plug
My current theory (because two ISVs and two DMEs, so less likely) on this is that the wire on the close terminal of the ISV is broken somewhere. The ISV flips back and forth to maintain idle, except in this case it cannot close so it stays full open. When the A/C clicks in, the idle drops because the ISV doesn't move.

Still waiting on test results.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orig944
While you have it unplugged, briefly apply 12 V to the center terminal and ground terminal 1, the terminal that the black with red stripe wire is connected to. This will snap the ISV closed. Without reconnecting the ISV, start the car and let us know what happened.
ok. Update time.

I disconnect the ISV plug and then connected a 12v power source and confirmed the unit is working - in both directions. I then set the unit to be closed and started the car - with it still unplugged. It held at about 500 rpm until it warmed up then it rose to factory settings at about 925 rpm solid!

I then reconnected the ISV and started the car and the rpm went to 1100 rpm immediately.

I’m surmising something is causing the ISV to stay open after it has warmed up.

what should I check next?

I also pulled the TB and checked the plate tolerances and it was tight and solid. No gaps or loose TB plate. Throttle cable is good too.

Thoughts?

Old 10-19-2023, 12:06 AM
orig944
Pro

what should I check next?
Post 27.
Old 10-19-2023, 01:20 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Ah. Good point, thank you.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:25 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

How does the ISV get it's signal to work?

Meaning, what sensors are involved on the car (temperature, O2, etc) that tells the DME whether to open or close the ISV?

The reason I ask is currently while my ISV is new and has been tested to verify it's working correctly, when the car starts the ISV is open and does not close once warmed up. Assuming there isn't a wiring problem (such as shorted wires or broken connections) what set of sensors would tell it to stay open? That will be my next line of investigation once I finish verifying the wiring is ok.

Old 10-19-2023, 09:40 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 207 Posts

How does the ISV get it's signal to work?
My guess is that the DME gets the signal from the TPS telling it the throttle plate is closed and the car is at idle... Does your TPS click as soon as you begin to open the throttle plate, like its supposed to?
Old 10-19-2023, 09:56 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 238 Posts

Did you follow the instructions for setting the idle in the factory workshop manual?

I have attached the pertinent pages...
Attached Images
Old 10-19-2023, 12:21 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
My guess is that the DME gets the signal from the TPS telling it the throttle plate is closed and the car is at idle... Does your TPS click as soon as you begin to open the throttle plate, like its supposed to?

is does click and I have verified it’s is a functional unit

it’s got to be more than the TPS, right? Because once the car is warmed up and the throttle is closed, the ISV should also be closed because the engine warmed up. When the car is cold, the ISV should be open, even when the throttle closed at idle, and both cases the TPS is in the same position at the ISP is operating in two different ways , so I’m not sure how the TPS is the only thing involved to controlling this
Old 10-19-2023, 12:24 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 931guru
Did you follow the instructions for setting the idle in the factory workshop manual?

I have attached the pertinent pages...
I’ve done this many times, but per my previous posts when I do the jumper between B/C, it does not allow me to change the idle speed, one way or the other. That’s why I think it’s a signal coming from the DME being interrupted or a short somewhere, but if it turns out, it’s not that it’s a signal coming from the DME, or more correctly from a some sensor that’s telling the computer to keep the ISV open, that’s what I’m trying to determine.
Old 10-19-2023, 01:01 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 207 Posts

is does click and I have verified it’s is a functional unit

it’s got to be more than the TPS, right? Because once the car is warmed up and the throttle is closed, the ISV should also be closed because the engine warmed up. When the car is cold, the ISV should be open, even when the throttle closed at idle, and both cases the TPS is in the same position at the ISP is operating in two different ways , so I’m not sure how the TPS is the only thing involved to controlling this
Have you checked if theres a throttle stop adjustment screw (similar to the idle adjustment screw) but located on the butterfly valve mechanism. If your car has one, you may want to consider adjusting this (doesnt require jumpering the diagnostic port or anything) to slightly increase the throttle plate opening when closed. See below.

From
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...dle-speed.html

Start with the screw and locknut on the throttle linkage, that is not an adjustment, it's a setting. Loosen the locknut and back off the screw, turn in the screw until it just touches the linkage, turn it in an additional 1/4 turn, lock it down with the nut. At this point check that the idle switch clicks as soon as you open the throttle, and that when you release the throttle that it clicks again. If it does not then you will need to adjust the switch until it operates correctly, or replace it if it can't be made to work. The second screw on the throttle body is the idle speed adjustment screw, in an early car, simply turn it until the car runs at approx 800 rpm. In a second gen. 944 you first need to bypass the idle stabilizer by bridging the contacts in the test connector in the left rear corner of the engine compartment, then set speed to 800 rpm or set it so that it does not change when you plug and unplug the bridge. The allen on the air flow meter effects air fuel mixture, it has the greatest effect at idle, you can get it in the neighborhood by ear, but to do it right you need an emissions analyzer. Disconnect the o2 sensor and adjust the screw until the engine runs smoothest. If you u have an analyzer measure the exhaust ahead of the cat. converter and set mixture to about .8% CO. You might try pulling the boot off the throttle body and cleaning the area around the throttle plate. Use some carb cleaner and an old toothbrush to make it as clean as possible, clean the bore and the throttle plate itself. Over time deposits build up around the plate and restrict airflow to the engine, idle stabilizer values are set based on the supposition that the engine is getting a certain amount of air through the throttle body, if you cut that off then the engine will not be getting enough to run correctly, especially when it is cold and requires more airflow than when warm.
So based on the above you have a throttle plate stop and then the idle adjustment screw. I am suggesting you tweak the throttle plate stop NOT the idle adjustment screw as a way to raise your idle outside of the ISV/idle adjustment screw/diagnostic plug system

The idle adjustment is on the throttle body. Look for a slotted "screw." The only other adjustment on the throttle body is for the throttle plate mechanical stop. This is adjusted with a screw and lock nut.

To set the mechanical stop you need to remove the throttle body, loosen the screws for the throttle position switch, back out the mechanical stop, turn the stop screw until it just touches the stop arm, turn the stop screw in an additional 1/2 turn, and then tighten the lock nut.
On the early cars idle is "set" mechanically. The only "automatic" idle compensation is a solenoid valve (mounted at the rear of the air box) that opens when the A/C is running.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 10-19-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 01:32 PM
orig944
Pro

Black/red wire broken to DME.
-or-
Black/white wire shorted to ground.

Old 10-19-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

My throttle stop is set correct. The TB is all correctly set.

Quick Reply: About to throw the car off a cliff