Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2 - Non Start Issue / Cranking but no fuel - Factory Alarm Issue & WORK AROUND

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 05:31 AM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb 944S2 - Non Start Issue / Cranking but no fuel - Factory Alarm Issue & WORK AROUND

While investigating my rough running issue I noticed that on this & many other sites people are having random non-start issues on their cars, I had this for 3 years before finally tracking it down & finding an excellent (IMO :-)) work around.
The issue with my 944S2 was not starting seeming randomly, but turning over perfectly & actually got recovered home on a couple of occasions.

Replaced the...
  • crank position sensor - was crusty but made no difference
  • alarm relay
  • alarm module
  • DME relay twice to make sure, same problem resurfaced a couple of months later while out for a nice Sunday afternoon drive & lunch.
Checked everything & replaced the blue alarm module box located on the fuse panel - which appeared to fix the issue & swapping between them also seemed to resolve the issue for a short while (NOTE: I was disconnecting the battery - important for later...).

Finally had a break & read that the door handles have a switch for the alarm built in & this becomes worn over time meaning the factory alarm was not fully disengaged meaning the fuel pump was cut off & disconnecting the battery for 2 mins reset the alarm.
After testing by locking & unlocking the car (it is never locked at home in the secure garage) sure enough the car would not start - fuel pump not running.
Disconnected the battery for 2 mins & hey presto - car started! Tried a few more times & same result every time.

The only fix is to replace the door handle (cleaning does not work - tried)
However as a work around I have installed a remote battery cut off (available on eBay for £30 or less).
This means I can lock the car when out & about for security but at the click of the fob button can disconnect & reconnect the battery - just need to wait 2 mins before starting.

Hope this helps other with the same issue & saves some ££££...

Last edited by Wetherden944; 09-05-2023 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Updated title
Old 09-05-2023, 10:31 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 234 Posts

You must have the only S2 on earth that has an alarm switch built into the door handle because mine doesnt... maybe its a ROW car thing?
Old 09-05-2023, 10:37 AM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
You must have the only S2 on earth that has an alarm switch built into the door handle because mine doesnt... maybe its a ROW car thing?
Sorry - not actually part of the handle... https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-...rio-alarm.html

Either way - it works :-)

Last edited by Wetherden944; 09-05-2023 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added additional details

Quick Reply: 944S2 - Non Start Issue / Cranking but no fuel - Factory Alarm Issue & WORK AROUND