Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2 Running Rich & Rough - Lots of parts replaced after reading fourm... Help :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 04:54 AM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 944S2 Running Rich & Rough - Lots of parts replaced after reading fourm... Help :-(

Hi All...
Sorry to jump in as a new member asking for help - hopefully I can share some helpful items back going forward.
My beloved1989 944S2 cab is running very rough & very very rich - it has been a problem for a while after sitting mostly idle for a few months unloved after moving home.
So far after reading through forums & getting advice/help from a couple of mechanics I know (car is currently at one of their garages) the following items have been replaced but has made no difference & we are all a bit stuck...
  • FPR
  • Fuel Injectors
  • Dist Cap & rotor arm
  • TPS (old one was confirmed dead)
  • Spark plugs
  • MAF
  • DME Temp sensor
  • Lots of connections cleaned...
Symptoms are...
  • Running very rough
  • Thick dark smoke that smells like a petrol station
  • Spark plugs getting fouled almost immediately - all look exactly the same
  • Emissions off the scale!
  • Very heavy fuel consumption
If anyone has any further ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Wetherden944; 09-05-2023 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Updated title
Old 09-05-2023, 08:01 AM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Ah - looks like this thread from last week has a couple of items to check... https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...dme-check.html
FYI: Leads & coil were also replaced only last year...
Old 09-05-2023, 09:31 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Usually this is extra fuel leaking into the vacuum system via the FPR or damper, or a leaking injector. Or a wonky DME temp sensor. You may have addressed some of these but maybe mistakes or confusion are in play.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:39 AM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Thanks for responding Joel.
The FPR & fuel injectors have been replaced & checked.
All spark plugs are exactly the same - very black & wet with fuel.
When replacing the FPR there was no fuel (or smell of fuel) in the vac line that was attached, must admit not checked the others or the fuel dampers.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:24 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 229 Posts

Whats the fuel pressure...
Old 09-05-2023, 10:40 AM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
Whats the fuel pressure...
I don't have the details with me - car is at my friends garage, will ask...
Old 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Wetherden944
I don't have the details with me - car is at my friends garage, will ask...
Suggest removing the J Boot and looking inside. Is there oil, if yes, replace AOS seals. Leaking AOS seals allows entailed air to extract oil vapor from crankcase and the oil vapor condenses in the J Boot, lower atmospheric pressure and the condensed molecules go into the engine and some drop out into the J Boot
Old 09-05-2023, 12:48 PM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Suggest removing the J Boot and looking inside. Is there oil, if yes, replace AOS seals. Leaking AOS seals allows entailed air to extract oil vapor from crankcase and the oil vapor condenses in the J Boot, lower atmospheric pressure and the condensed molecules go into the engine and some drop out into the J Boot
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated, I have passed it on for when my mate has a few cycles.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:54 AM
944 timbo
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Oxygen sensor?
Old 09-06-2023, 09:18 AM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 944 timbo
Oxygen sensor?
Thankyou, but I'm 95% sure mine does not have one, non-CAT UK model - but will verify.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:36 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Some have found the harness to a sensor to be frayed under the strain relief, and replacing the sensor does not address the issue. You might look at the values at the DME to see what it is seeing for water/air temp, AFM, etc.
It's also worth checking again for fuel getting into the vacuum system. A DME relay jumper is good for this so you can leave the engine off. With no leaks fund there you could try running with the fuel system vacuum lines disconnected but still watch to see if fuel pours out of one at some point. The condition might even clear up, an FPR or damper could be dry normally but leak under vacuum. If you have a hand operated vacuum pump you could try that too.
Maybe run short hoses from the FPR and damper vacuum ports to some empty bottles or something to be safer running with the vacuum lines disconnected.

Beyond that we could try to look at the duty cycle and Hz of the injector signal, many inexpensive DMMs can do this. Ideally we find someone who can give us a good basis for comparison but we might try to calculate what it should be at maybe idle and 3K RPM no-load and see if your values are way off or what. Knowing for sure that the fuel is commanded by the DME vs. leaking in somehow would be helpful.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:13 AM
944 timbo
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Wetherden944
Thankyou, but I'm 95% sure mine does not have one, non-CAT UK model - but will verify.
With all that extra gas probably the best thing to do is give it more air so just hit the throttle! Seriously tthough, there is also a little switch inside the dme, three settings i think.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:51 AM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Smile

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Some have found the harness to a sensor to be frayed under the strain relief, and replacing the sensor does not address the issue. You might look at the values at the DME to see what it is seeing for water/air temp, AFM, etc.
It's also worth checking again for fuel getting into the vacuum system. A DME relay jumper is good for this so you can leave the engine off. With no leaks fund there you could try running with the fuel system vacuum lines disconnected but still watch to see if fuel pours out of one at some point. The condition might even clear up, an FPR or damper could be dry normally but leak under vacuum. If you have a hand operated vacuum pump you could try that too.
Maybe run short hoses from the FPR and damper vacuum ports to some empty bottles or something to be safer running with the vacuum lines disconnected.

Beyond that we could try to look at the duty cycle and Hz of the injector signal, many inexpensive DMMs can do this. Ideally we find someone who can give us a good basis for comparison but we might try to calculate what it should be at maybe idle and 3K RPM no-load and see if your values are way off or what. Knowing for sure that the fuel is commanded by the DME vs. leaking in somehow would be helpful.
Thanks for the pointers Joel - I have next week off work & have allocated a couple of days to go to my friends workshop to with his help hopefully getting Peter (yes - named!) running & through its UK MOT test. Had Peter for 17 years now & up until the lack of use (apart from the alarm issue) has been ultra reliable. Just want him back on the drive & putting a grin on my face!
Old 09-06-2023, 11:53 AM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Originally Posted by 944 timbo
With all that extra gas probably the best thing to do is give it more air so just hit the throttle! Seriously tthough, there is also a little switch inside the dme, three settings i think.
Thanks, will take a look. I do like the idea of the heavier right foot as well though :-)
Old 04-24-2024, 09:20 AM
Wetherden944
Track Day

Ok - finally after many many months my car is running perfectly again.
On top of the original parts there were a number of other bits...
  1. Failing coil - which was only 3 years old.
  2. Duff new water temp sensor.
  3. Idle control valve - bit gunged up, now cleaned & working perfectly.
  4. MAF required a bit of a tweak.
  5. This is the BIG one... The new fuel injectors which I purchased which were listed as being for an S2 were in fact for a Turbo (PN#280150803) - which supply more fuel, sourced a good used set of the correct type (PN#0280150811). Unfortunately these were purchased over a year ago - pretty certain the just sent the wrong ones - so can't send back.

Good news is that I now have a fully sorted car to enjoy once (if) the weather gets better...
  1. Everything on the ignition system has been sorted all the way through.
  2. Fuel system fully investigated / issues resolved.
  3. All belts replaced.
  4. Water pump done.
  5. Idlers & seals all done.
  6. Engine given a clean bill of health.
I also have now gathered a number of known good parts when they are needed - always a great thing to have :-)

Quick Reply: 944S2 Running Rich & Rough - Lots of parts replaced after reading fourm... Help :-(