Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023 | 12:23 AM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Default Intermittent Power Loss

I have searched and haven't found anything so I've finally decided to make a post. So I have a 1984 944 NA that's had its running issues before but after my timing belt change a new one showed up. It doesn't seem related maybe just happened right then. When its cold there is no issues with driveability but ones its warm you feel it. The most notable thing is full throttle on the highway in 5th. When you give it full throttle you will feel it accelerate then decelerate a little then accelerate a little, Back and forth. I threw in my other dme which is chipped and runs a little richer. The car worked great issue went away drove it for awhile then was working on another car with my dad fixed some random cosmetic stuff on the 944 and was about to leave and there was a rattle, fuel rail crack then we snowballed and went for my vacuum leak since we could hear it with a little throttle too much and it sealed itself. Sound came from the J-Boot so we pulled it off and sure enough all the way around the bottom of what I guess is a PCV hose it is was ripped. We did a impermanent fix on it with a sealant. On the way home my old issue with the intermittent power loss returned. Also it would break up a little in 1st getting up and going and then the power would hit. The car seems to like the unmetered air. Sounds AFM related to me however the car drove great with the massive vacuum leak but after it was fixed it didn't. May also be TPS however I did re-adjust it awhile ago where it wasn't adjusted right and now it is, also the car drove fine before hand. I think I covered most but if there is any uncovered, unanswered questions I will get back as soon as possible.

Thanks,
TurrFinn