Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monaco best race so far

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 04:38 PM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to be aggressive. even if you are a lap behind, you have to push push push.. .
Perhapse you can explain to me why you have to be aggressive on a caution lap where noone is allowed to pass anyway??

even during caution, you only brake or slow down when you have no other choice
When someone spins or locks up the brakes in fornt of you I would say that you have no other choice than to slow down, Would'nt you ? Does'nt look to me like JPM attempted to slow down. Schumi was in first at the time, and it is his right to set the pace he wants, and it is the job of the person in second place, in this case JPM, to stay behind.

Eon S.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 87_944s
Schumi was in first at the time, and it is his right to set the pace he wants,
No, that's the job of the safety car, I haven't seen it yet still, but it sounds like he did his usual (read; arrogant) "push the rules to intimidate the rest of the pack" and it bit him where it SHOULD bite him everytime.
Is Earnhart a verb yet?
Old 05-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eon,

As an F1 driver, you have to have "GO" ingrained in your mentality in order to win. If your first instinct is to "stop" when something goes wrong, you will never win an F1 race. You're not supposed to pass when behind a pace car, but you're also not supposed to stall your car or lock up your brakes and hold back traffic.

I'll refer you again to the rule, that the racer leader must remain WITHIN 5 car lengths of the safety car, and all the following cars must remain in tight formation.

If JPM had initiated a hard braking maneuver, he COULD have actually been HIT from behind by the following car, and been out of the race due to Micheal's wheel lock up. Wouldn't that have pissed YOU off if you were in JPM's shoes?

This did not happen in slow motion, it happened in the blink of an eye. You have literally a split second to make a decision. Even the drivers would have to look at the replay to understand exactly what went wrong and who was to blame. I just think that MS should not have been screwing around and he should not have tried to get back to the racing line so quickly.

I guess JPM radioed an apology because he's not used to MS making mistakes and initially thought maybe he was to blame for going around MS.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

By the way, given the fact that I'm being so anti-MS in this thread, I have to say that I am actually a big MS fan. I think he's a racing god, although like Senna, he is human and makes judgement mistakes sometimes, despite his usual robot-like consistancy.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich, I was going to call you on the passing move as well. Like almost any sactioned form of racing there is no passing under caution.

Silly argument, I couldnt care less. F-1 has become less interesting since only one team really has a chance to win. It will be less interesting in 2006 when FIA goes to a one make tire series as they have announced they will. Both BFS and Gruppe Michelin are heavily against this as they enjoy the spoils in Europe where F-1 is popular.

Bet on Bridgestone as Ferrari has a huge say, especially when added to that 4 races are held in Asia where BS is the leading manufacturer.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

If someone spins or stalls during a caution/saftey car outing, there is no written rule that says you have to stop for it. I know, I checked the FIA rulesbook and couldn't find anything.

Anyways. I'm going to bed. I have to go to work in 9 hours. CIAO!

PS - I don't give a **** if they are running Bridges or Michis. I want them to get rid of those ****ing treads!!! Bring back the slicks and the turbos baby!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 87_944s
Perhapse you can explain to me why you have to be aggressive on a caution lap where noone is allowed to pass anyway??
ME! ME! OH, PICK ME!

This is easy. Shouldn't even be a question. You have to stay close on a caution or you could be left behind, and worse, get freight trained if the track suddenly goes green. Any position lost the moment the track goes green gets multiplied if the person in front has already been accelerating at a much greater rate.

When I raced karts I got used to being bumped from behind at the start so that they are on the throttle when the green comes out. I'm not that agressive in SCCA racing, but if I were making a living by driving race cars, I damned sure would and it would be expected of me.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Rich Sandor
I guess JPM radioed an apology because he's not used to MS making mistakes and initially thought maybe he was to blame for going around MS.
I would guess he apologized because it was the last thing on his mind, and Scummie locking them up was probably the last thing he expected.

Remember folks, an apology is not an admission of guilt. It annoys me that people like to treat it as such.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Matt H
Rich, I was going to call you on the passing move as well. Like almost any sactioned form of racing there is no passing under caution.
However, every sanctioning body will have some exceptions to handle certain circumstances. Furthermore, typically an avoidance maneuver that resulted in overtaking, but where the position was immediately given back would not result in a penalty. Nobody wants a crash to happen, especially under caution, and if an avoidance maneuver resulted in temporary overtaking rather than bringing danger to the rest of the field, that would typically be forgiven.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Geo
Race Director

Folks, Scummie was playing games. I've played them. There are lots of ways to play them. You want to open up maximum distance between you and the guy behind you when the track goes green. Those games don't start on the lead up to the flag.

The bottom line is sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. Scummie got eaten yesterday. He got what he deserves. When I look at the ledger, he's got a lot more coming to him as well.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:02 PM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would guess he apologized because it was the last thing on his mind, and Scummie locking them up was probably the last thing he expected.
Here is a direct quote from MS from F1live.com

"I was accelerating and braking just as we do when we go to the grid and in the standard way when running behind the safety car and the tunnel was not even the first place I had done it as I had done the same earlier in the lap."

"A puff of smoke off the wheels is quite normal in these situations as you try to get heat into the front tyre and the brakes. That said, Jarno Trulli did a fantastic job to win and I don't think I could really have challenged him."

Eon S.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:19 PM
karlfrevans
Advanced

Schumi is not invincible. He is also not God. Everyone rushes to his defense. IMO, he ****ed up. Also I'm glad to see Renault and Honda out qualify Schumi. Despite spending more money that everyone else Ferrari has a car that launches poorly and has less torque that Renault and Honda.

I think the tide is turning for Renault, just like it did in the early 90's when Renault took down Honda and Senna. (I am a major Senna fan.)
Old 05-24-2004, 06:31 PM
icat
Race Car

Originally posted by karlfrevans
Schumi is not invincible. He is also not God. Everyone rushes to his defense.
Good grief - if what everyone here is doing is rushing to his defense, then I hope I'm never really in trouble and call for help from the Rennlist crowd! You guys are merciless!
Old 05-24-2004, 06:35 PM
mcavour
Racer

Originally posted by TarHeel 944S
It's sad how the greatest form of racing in the world has such a small audience in the greatest country in the world. Damn nascar.
Very true that!!! I moved to Brazil at age 6, where I acquired the finer taste of Formula 1 races on Sundays!!! Unfortunately I kinda lost interest when Senna passed away in 94'... IMO he was the best ever!!!

Quick Reply: Monaco best race so far