Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16v MAF Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 12:28 AM
FeedMyAddiction
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16v MAF Conversion

Does anyone make a MAF conversion for the 16-valve 944's? I've only been able to find conversions for 8v models.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:08 AM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Received 280 Likes on 244 Posts

I looked into this and decided it was better to just go to Megasquirt using the DIYAutotune PNP kit. This will allow you to go to speed density which doesnt require any air metering at all (uses a MAP + IAT sensor) thereby removing the AFM restriction to free up more power. An added bonus is you can fully tune your car's ignition timing, and fuel maps, you are able to achieve full OBD2 diagnostic capabilities (able to log and see every sensor signal directly), and add other cool features such as launch control and flat shift.

There is a fairly steep learning curve, so may not be for everyone. For me, I am overall very pleased and after some work getting the car tweaked and setup, actually runs better than with the old Motronic system. An added bonus was that I learned an incredible amount about tuning cars overall as part of the "learning by doing" process. More info can be found here: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...sche-944-s-s2/

At one point I did reach out to Vitesse and I believe they said they could do a 16V MAF conversion - but that was a while ago. I found them most responsive on Facebook messenger. Might be worth reaching out.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 07-06-2023 at 10:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FeedMyAddiction (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 04:40 PM
FeedMyAddiction
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
I looked into this and decided it was better to just go to Megasquirt using the DIYAutotune PNP kit. This will allow you to go to speed density which doesnt require any air metering at all (uses a MAP + IAT sensor) thereby removing the AFM restriction to free up more power. An added bonus is you can fully tune your car's ignition timing, and fuel maps, you are able to achieve full OBD2 diagnostic capabilities (able to log and see every sensor signal directly), and add other cool features such as launch control and flat shift.

There is a fairly steep learning curve, so may not be for everyone. For me, I am overall very pleased and after some work getting the car tweaked and setup, actually runs better than with the old Motronic system. An added bonus was that I learned an incredible amount about tuning cars overall as part of the "learning by doing" process. More info can be found here: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...sche-944-s-s2/

At one point I did reach out to Vitesse and I believe they said they could do a 16V MAF conversion - but that was a while ago. I found them most responsive on Facebook messenger. Might be worth reaching out.
Thanks for the info! I think I will go the megasquirt route as it seems to offer many benefits. After swapping the new ECU in, what maf + iat sensor conversion would you recommend?
Old 07-10-2023, 06:54 PM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Received 280 Likes on 244 Posts

No MAF needed, all you need is the IAT sensor. DIY autotune sells a kit for it and youll need a pipe with a bung welded to it (there are some on ebay already welded). The IAT sensor wires directly into the OEM AFM harness wires (5 wires, 3 are for potentiometer, 2 are for IAT).

You will also need a wideband O2 and variable TPS (944 NA's and S/S2 are binary unlike the turbo). Ive read that the 944's use the same binary TPS and the M20/M30 BMW's and you can use this conversion kit to run a BMW M50 variable TPS. I have not tried this personally though, as I installed a 968 manifold and TB, and the 968 already uses a variable TPS.

Since youll be converting to speed density, using the MS PNP kit all you need is the integrated MAP sensor (part of the megasquirt PNP kit) and IAT sensor to get the car running. However, it is highly highly recommended to have a wideband O2 (for tuning) and variable TPS (for TPSdot accel enrichment).
The following users liked this post:
bobinnova (02-27-2024)

Quick Reply: 16v MAF Conversion