Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XP: Car towed form my apt complex. Legal advice appreciated. Please read.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom (pa944red) lives! Haven't heard from you in a while. Anyway, for those who don't know or who might care, we were college roomates for almost all 5 of the years we spent at Drexel. I'm solely responsible for Tom's 944 obsession. A ride in a 944 turbo will do that to a man.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:06 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks... I would just be firm and raise hell, in a non-emotional way. Although to pay $45 is not much, at least from my viewpoint, you should say what you mean. If you need to claim damage, do it! It will give them even more of a headache than from just admitting they screwed up. Bastards! I have zero sympathy for people who abuse their power.

I've had my car towed for obvious reasons, only to go and get it 2-3 weeks later (I had some major bills to pay, um, like license, reg, ins) and I come to find out that they removed anything and everything from my car, including my stereo, computer parts, cat food, lawn chair, and tools I had in the car the day it was towed. I filed a complaint and they said that since I didn't have any receipts (it came with the car, obviously I wouldn't have a receipt) that they would only reimburse me for the stereo at 250.00, which I haven't seen 1 year later. I lost everything else that was in the car. At or around that time, the company that was contracted by the city was booted out for corruption and replaced with another one.

Parking tickets: parking in the wrong way anywhere in the City ($0, who knows, never seen one); a ticket for parking on the sidewalk ($75); ticket for parking in a bus zone ($250); ticket for parking 1-2 hours over the limit without one of 25 different neighborhood pemits that cost 35.00 per annum ($35); the list goes on an on... #$^&@!!

Fewer parking tickets mean more budget headaches for S.F
Old 05-22-2004, 03:41 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by streckfu's951
That was in 3+ years.....
Ok thats not as bad, but still...
Old 05-22-2004, 03:45 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally posted by deni durrell
That sucks... I would just be firm and raise hell, in a non-emotional way. Although to pay $45 is not much, at least from my viewpoint, you should say what you mean.

That's after he reduced it from $85 after I produced a lease AND showed him the tag was in the car. I couldn't argue any lower.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

why are you so sure the tag fell when you were putting in the sunshade,and not from the vibration of the car being towed?

im sure you would have hung the tag if you saw it fall. is it correct to say the last thing you remember is seeing the tag hanging from the mirror?

dont give them ammo to use against you. im sure sun tzu wrote that somewhere.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:34 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

I remember the tag being there before the I put up the sunshade. I then exited the vehicle and did not look inside while locking it.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:39 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the streetside ticket issue; I would say to get some of those gag tickets and slip one inside of the cop'c car every day. If the doors are locked, just force it past the weatherstripping.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:58 PM
mcavour
Racer

Originally posted by Geo
I hope I don't get flamed as a dissenter, but they have clearly spelled out the rules. Getting towed sucks, but it also protects you from having others illegally fill the open spots.

I do think if you plead your case from a very calm and rational point of view, but firm, my may be able to take care of you on this one. But, you never know.

I can also see the management's point of view of leaving the tow up to the towing company because now management doesn't need to be the "bad guy." However, I just don't trust towing companies. Shoot, here in Houston a local TV station uncovered a huge towing scam. No surprise there.
I beg to differ, the only way that I believe that this should hold would be if window stickers were issued and he didn't have one!!! Besides, given that he was parked in a regular parking spot, and in his own home/complex, the company having towed the vehicle "stole" his car (or took it for ransom...), at least thats IMHO.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

I pay 13k a year in rent and the day after I bought my car they slapped a yellow sticker on the window threating to tow it the next day for not having tags.

I was going out of town and knew my tags (only got a 1 month registration because I hadn't had an emissions test) and inspection sticker were going to expire while I was gone. So I put my car cover on the thing.

They day I got home it had blown off, they had picked up my cover, taken it to the maintenance office and slapped another yellow sticker saying they were going to tow it for the freakin inspection being expired.

It's still not registed for this year but a friend got 2 sets of 05 stickers in the mail so I stuck them on their till I manage to pass emissions or give up and register it in Alaska where I'm a resident.

I so want to move but I know I'll be moving again in oct 05 anyway and this probably the 6th move in the last 7 years anyway
Old 05-22-2004, 10:56 PM
mcavour
Racer

Originally posted by Shutemup
I pay 13k a year in rent and the day after I bought my car they slapped a yellow sticker on the window threating to tow it the next day for not having tags.

I was going out of town and knew my tags (only got a 1 month registration because I hadn't had an emissions test) and inspection sticker were going to expire while I was gone. So I put my car cover on the thing.

They day I got home it had blown off, they had picked up my cover, taken it to the maintenance office and slapped another yellow sticker saying they were going to tow it for the freakin inspection being expired.

It's still not registed for this year but a friend got 2 sets of 05 stickers in the mail so I stuck them on their till I manage to pass emissions or give up and register it in Alaska where I'm a resident.

I so want to move but I know I'll be moving again in oct 05 anyway and this probably the 6th move in the last 7 years anyway

Sounds like they need something to do...
Old 05-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

They do,

The part that really pisses me off is that we don't have assigned parking and we have plenty of parking to boot.

The parking lot I park in probably has 80-100 parking spaces and at least 30 of them are empty every day.

Sure the ones next to the building get full, but there are 3 rows that there are never more than 1-2 cars in EVER.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:27 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd say file in small claims court. Name the apt. manager, the towing company owner and the driver that towed the car. Come up with some missing items or damage to the car and ask for that too.

Between all 3 of them having the option of sitting in court all morning or coughing up $45 plus costs they should see it your way and since the tow truck driver didn't see your permit in the dark you should win anyway.

If you think about it, that *** had to get out of the truck and walk the parking lot just to look in every cars windshield just to look for a permit, seems like he was looking for someone to tow.

Good Luck
Old 05-23-2004, 08:57 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

I plan to take it to small claims if they don't refund it when I talk to the property manager on Monday.

The real pisser is that at ~4am it was raining like a freaking monsoon here. He must have been desperate for tow to tow in those conditions.

I don't see why they just don't issue small stickers to put in the back windows like so many other apartment complexes around here. They can be seen easily and noone will lose them and nothing to 'fall off'.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Apartments suck in general. If the towing company is so hard up for a tow that they are circling your lot frequently, shouldn't they have spotted your 951 before? Maybe not, but Porsches typically stand out in the apartment complexes in which I've lived.

It's amazing how apartment complexes show their appreciation for signing with them.

Last edited by Mike Murcia; 05-24-2004 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why is it that this thread is posted both here AND in OT? It's kind of annoying having to bounce between this forum and that one to see all the posts / advice. I've noticed that happening with several threads lately, so I'm not singling you out, but doesn't this sort of belong in OT?

Maybe it's just because the "944 People's" opinion naturally matters more than that of the general community

Quick Reply: XP: Car towed form my apt complex. Legal advice appreciated. Please read.