Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 924S Trans Noise and CVJ question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 07:02 PM
Ryan Deutsch
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 88 924S Trans Noise and CVJ question

I have a 88 924S. So I started getting noises from the trans and I have another question about my CV joints.

I've got a noise coming from the trans that sounds like a bad bearing from my experience with other cars. kind of a chattering noise that goes away when I step on the clutch. It is loudest when I put the car in reverse and back away from a dead stop. . In general the trans seems louder in all gears than before with a general whining noise that goes away when I step on the clutch. Also I hear a louder comparable noise in third gear, although it is not as loud as the chattering noise when I back up. Any idea's? Ive just begun to try to figure this out so I thought I'd ask you guys for your help/where I should look.

That brings me to my other question...

About a year ago I repacked and swapped around my CV Joints. They appear to be the factory ones that came on the car. Oddly, they were way tighter on the axle spleens than I thought they should be. They were so tight on the spleens of the axle I had to pound them off and back on. I checked them for burs/ damage but didn't see anything, so I cleaned them and put them back together. They are/were so tight on the axles, I can't imagine they are sliding back and forth on the axle spleens like they are suppose to as the wheels move up and down. They seemed to me to be the porsche cv joints and I assume they have been that way from the factory. Is this normal? Its almost like they have to small of clearence on the shafts and I worry they could be causing pressure or binding because they don't slide easily on the axles as the wheels/control arms go up and down through their travel. Is that tension/tightness normal for factory CV joints? I have pictures/video of the joints somewhere I have to look for.

Thanks for reading this, any help/suggestions you guys might have are much appreciated. I'm going to change the fluid in the reared next and try to get some video of the noises next and narrow down exactly when I hear them most. Thanks guys.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:37 PM
Ryan Deutsch
Intermediate

Well it turns out somebody messed with, or something went wrong with the arm and detent for the reverse gear. Also the springs were messed up on the 5 gear synchro.
I decided to just go ahead and make a episode out of it for my YouTube channel.
Here's the video -
The following users liked this post:
walfreyydo (07-13-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 07:37 PM
Ryan Deutsch
Intermediate

If you're planning to work on a 924S or 944 trans, you should probably know about this bolt. I have no idea why someone messed with this in the first place, but I'm fixing it regardless.
Thanks for checking it out guys. Next time I'll show you how I put this thing together and we'll add some linkage and a shifter from only944.com.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:41 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

About a year ago I repacked and swapped around my CV Joints. They appear to be the factory ones that came on the car. Oddly, they were way tighter on the axle spleens than I thought they should be. They were so tight on the spleens of the axle I had to pound them off and back on. I checked them for burs/ damage but didn't see anything, so I cleaned them and put them back together. They are/were so tight on the axles, I can't imagine they are sliding back and forth on the axle spleens like they are suppose to as the wheels move up and down.
They only go on the axle one direction. If you try to put them on the other way you have to pound them on and off. Turn them around.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:34 PM
Ryan Deutsch
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply/help Breakaway944 -
I think they are chamfered on the side of the piece that slides onto the spleens, is that what you mean?
I tried turning them around and it was even harder to pound them on flipped around (I'm assuming then that was backwards), so I put them back on the way they came off. I'm pretty sure I put them on the right way, but they were still super tight.
It's like the shafts themselves, or the metal pieces that are the center of the cv joints were machined without the proper clearance. At least it seemed like they should not be that tight. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this?
How easy should the CV joint move or slide on those shafts?

Old 11-07-2023, 09:56 PM
Ryan Deutsch
Intermediate

Default Reassembling a 924S/944 Transaxle

After tearing my trans down, I ordered some parts to fix my reverse detent and the bent up spring for my 5th gear synchro. In this video I fix that stuff and put in a shifter and linkage from only944.com.
If you're thinking about tearing into one of these transmissions, I think this video should give you a good idea of what it takes to put one back together.
Thanks for checking it out guys.

Quick Reply: 88 924S Trans Noise and CVJ question