Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent Mod's - Lot's 'o Pic's

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 02:53 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, with regard to the **cough cough** "investment" in a 944, consider... Lots of folks buy newer model cars, then take a HUGE hit in depreciation after a couple of years. It doesn't sound to me like you've gone unreasonably deep into the 944 from a financial standpoint. Will you get all your money back? No, but that's true for most cars.

I've had the same thoughts about an early 911. But if you factor in the risk of rust, etc. you can just as easily sink too much $$$ in a 911.

If you factor up the cost per mile, owning a 944 is a bargain.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:58 AM
Wrecksimple03
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really love that cam cover, i wanna start cleaning up my engine compartment kinda like that, i expect that would be expensive for me, but wow...thats gonna look sick!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Sean
...It doesn't sound to me like you've gone unreasonably deep into the 944 from a financial standpoint.
Uh, well $11,000 into a 944 NA is deep to most of us, maybe you've got a lot deeper pockets than we all do! It's anywhere from 2x to as much has 5x what they sell for...at least here in So. California. Strictly financially speaking that is a poor investment. But if you're into cars as we all are (why else would you be on this board?) finances alone do not dicate your actions..I am proof of it. I really love this car, it's just I know that a 911 would give me a better level of performance, albeit most of the ones I'd buy are actually an older era of car in design. Floor hinged pedals, lousy AC and the somewhat "VW-on-steroids" feel of them are what I'm talking about. Yet there perfomance is thrilling, no question. Before all the 911 owners flame me, I WANT a 911 so chill out. They are still originally of an earlier era than the waterpumpers. Oddly, that is- in part, what I like about them.

Will you get all your money back? No, but that's true for most cars.
I never said I wanted to get "all my money out". No thinking person ever expects to get ALL their money out of a car. Cars are mostly NOT an investment, they are a capital expense, kind of like a tube of toothpaste. You use up their value and discard them. The fact that you get ANY money out of them is actually a plus!

I've had the same thoughts about an early 911. But if you factor in the risk of rust, etc. you can just as easily sink too much $$$ in a 911.
Well, I'm not sure I'd buy an "early" 911 -up to 1976, much as I LOVE the look. Man, they look great, but I might have to go with an SC.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Sean
If you factor up the cost per mile, owning a 944 is a bargain.
[/QUOTE]
[/B][/QUOTE]

Uh....no! On a cost per mile basis a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla is a bargain. A 944 is NOT a bargain. Now, if you are talking "fun per mile", or "enjoyment per mile" or especially "handling for the dollar" then a 944 is a steal!!

Anyway, I'll figure out what I want to do eventually. In the mean time, I love my car, she performs wonderfully for what she is. She gets attention most times I take her out. AND she's a wonderful reminder personally that I overcame some hard times and came out on top.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:07 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love those centercaps, Dan! Also, your paint looks brand new!
Old 05-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

NeedPorscheSpeed,

Thanks for the compliment. My paint is DEFINITELY not new though. It is all original except the hood - which was a maxi cheapo respray to cover chips (I said it used to live in the moutains) by the prior owner - my sorta sister-in-law. All orange peeled when I bought her. Perry951 gave me the directions how to color sand it down to it's current condition. The left side rear was keyed by some #^$^& A-Hole. You can see it in the one picture if you look closely. Just lucky it doesn't show much in that shot. Various assorted problems with the paint but I keep it up and it's a "10 footer" i.e. from 10 feet it looks perfect, closer and it is obviously flawed.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Location: Auburn, Washington & San Diego ............................. Terry

Originally posted by Dan in Pasadena
John D., recheck the post. I had Al Reed do them. My polishing is unworthy to be mentioned inthe same breath as his. I did NOT have them clear anodized as Al said it would kill 10 to 15% of the shine. ...
The wheels looks great.

Do they have anything on them to seal them from the elements? Is spraying them with a clear finish an option?

Polishing them weekly is more then I would want to do again. My dad used have this airplane with a polished aluminum propeller spinner. I used to wash the plane every weekend for him. The spinner was a PIA. I used this pink aluminum polish in a blue and white can. I can't remember the name. The stuff was made for polishing Airstream trailers. My hands used to get black by the end of the polishing. I do remember an interesting little side note for removing the polish though. The directions on the side of the can said to use flour on a clean rag when removing the polish after it had dried to a haze. It really worked.

I really wanted him to chrome that spinner. But, he said that it wouldn't be airworthy/legal. Oh well. I'm a better person because of at least half of the things he made me do. Not sure about the other half-
Old 05-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

John D.
Funny how you HATE certain things as a kid - when your parents make you do them, but when it is something you want to do yourself, then you don't mind....as much! Like working the yard. HATED it as a kid, love gardening now.

Yes, Al Reed told me I could clear anodize the wheels and basically never have to worry about them for a long, long time. I would sugest this to most people. But it would dull some of the shine, about 10-15% His comments to me was that if I were willing to polish them about every three weeks to a month then they would look the same forever. But he said if I didn't polish them they would look crappy in a year!

Now honestly, I am **** retentive when it comes to my car. Other than my son (and maybe a few of you fellow mental patients!) NO ONE would do what I do. I wash my car weekly, but frequently it doesn't make it 7 days. I wax AT LEAST one panel EVERYTIME I wash it. My paint is 17 years old and it looks as good as that old a paint job can (at least one that was definitely not taken proper care of the first 14 years of it's life - what saved it was it was garaged for months at a time and finally was garaged 6-7 years before I got it). What I will edo is polish one wheel everytime I wash/wax it. Al suggested I polish each wheel and leave the polish on it until I finish all four then go around and wipe them all off. He also sold me some special, non-Pep Boys, non-AutoZone type polish - I'll check the name and get back. Anyway, YES you can have them clear coated and I would recommend it to most guys.

Quick Reply: Recent Mod's - Lot's 'o Pic's