Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Rail & Line Rebuild Complete w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:06 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Fuel Rail & Line Rebuild Complete w/ Pics

I am so excited tonight that after almost a week and a half of scattered parts, incremental work and new parts sourcing - the 944 is all FIRED UP!!!!

The plan was to replace the original supply and return lines with the Pauer Tuning braided stainless kit (which is beautiful, by the way) and that led to replacing the FD, FPR and little supply line with new parts. Pulling the injectors and trying to use reseal kits proved to be disasterous as the early injectors (0280150158) with the yellow plates and orange hats cannot have their hats replaced (ask me how i know) This led to me breaking the nozzle off one injector and deciding to buy four new ones.

Once the fuel rail was pulled - i noticed that one of the hard vacuum lines was partially melted and the vacuum hose from the intake boot to the idle stabilizer was cracked at the 3-way distributer. I was reluctant to pull the intake manifold due to lack of experience, but pushed on out of curiousity and with reckless abandon. This led to a replacement of the intake boot and all the vacuum hoses (large hoses replaced with OEM parts) with the exception of the venturi and the short hose back to the boot which was in good shape.

Both in the removal and replacement i worked slowly, took my time, and tried not to get fustrated. I know for alot of you guys that do this professionally or that have alot of experience this job is not difficult. For me, it has given me more confidence in attempting my own work and giving me a better understanding of the N/A 944. I truly enjoyed the whole project and I know the work I completed is done well and to my satisfaction. I thank all of you who have posted replies to my questions regarding this project - Rennlist is the best!

The car runs great and is soooo smoooooth. Very responsive to throttle.
The best part is my piece of mind concerning engine fires and the line connections are now in the wheel well AWAY from the exhaust manifold!!

Total cost in new parts= $700.00
Total labor = 10 to 12 hours

Lessons Learned:
* Plan to replace parts you didn't expect too.
* Plan to break parts you didn't expect too.
* Plan to modify parts (I had to cut down a longer M8 bolt i had, to replace one of the M8 bolts for the intake manifold that had a damaged thread and would not thread back in correctly - the new modified bolt threadded fine)
* Removing the intake manifold (and disconnecting the vacuum hoses is a
PITA the first time) putting it back is alot easier once you know how it works)
* Dont mess with removing fuel injector hats on old injectors.
* set intake manifold seals with a spot of grease at the bolt holes - they hold down well while setting intake in place. Connect all hoses and intake boot first - then place seals and lower intake into place.
* Before trying to start the car - dont forget to push the fuel pump fuse back in (ask me how i know)
* WORK SLOW and RELAX
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Where did you get the new fuel line stuff, I want to rebuild mine its in sad shape
Old 05-20-2004, 12:25 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

the lines are from Pauer Tuning in Mesa, AZ
Vic is a member - do a search on fuel lines to read about his lines - here is his email
pauerzone@***.net

I got my line kit as part of a limited group offering here on the list.
You'll have to contact Vic to see when other kits will be available. As I understand it, he fabs these lines custom and getting the AN connection fittings is difficult.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget Vic can do the small hose that goes from the damper to the front of the rail. That really completes the job. Excellent quality stuff.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats expensive~!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:12 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

it is expensive
i'm looking at the receipts
parts are mostly from Pelican
found new injectors for 70 ea. shipped - couldn't find better price
paid shipping for 5 separate parts orders as i found damaged or broke parts.
Pauer Lines are $160
Injectors $280
Vacuum Hose $50
Injector hardware, wasted seal kits (From Pelican and Porsche) to embarassing to tell
FPR, FD, little fuel hose $160
Intake gaskets, boot $35
Supplies $50

sh*t addes up - hard to believe
how much do you think parts and labor in shop?
Old 05-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It's still cheaper than an engine fire. You gained experience with your car, and now it runs like a champ. Sounds good to me.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

ummm. It's an N/A right?
Is that fpr on backwards?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:42 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

fpr is turned to allow line to come up the way it does.
makes no difference on function.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just so everyone knows, that little fuel line going to the dampner is under a factory recall. They will pay for a new line.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ummmmm... blue line

and I know, the engine bay is REAL dirty. The dirt helps to reduce engine noise in the cab.... or thats what I keep telling myself.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Big E
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by por951turbo
Just so everyone knows, that little fuel line going to the dampner is under a factory recall. They will pay for a new line.
Really ? Is this recent ? Do I have any chance of rolling into the dealer and them giving me a new line?

BTW, big thumbs up on Vic's fuel lines, put 'em on the turbo already and just got the kit for the S car. Very nice, simple to install, although they work better if you actually tighten the connections
Old 05-20-2004, 01:37 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

call 1800-porsche and give your info and vin, ask about recalls. I got a free one

jason
Old 05-20-2004, 01:48 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

the only thing that concerns me with vic's lines i just how much to tighten the compression fittings on the hard lines. he says not to tighten too much, if you do, you can deform the compression sleeve - just tighten until slight twisting wont move the fitting. well, i think i tightened it enough, and nothing leaked. i hope it stays that way under vibration. the line clamp on the fender wall helps to lock things down pretty good.

Oh, what's up with the round plastic nut that secures the line clamp - after all this time i thought the thing was going to crumble into pieces - luckily it went back on and seems to be holding fine. there sure could have been a better fastener, like a washer and nut?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:25 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

How did you cut the metal fuel lines? With a pipe cutter? Did you have adequate clearance to rotate it around the pipe/line?

Quick Reply: Fuel Rail & Line Rebuild Complete w/ Pics